Roberts '78 and Centracchio focus on health care in lt. governor's race

Democrat Elizabeth Roberts '78 and her Republican opponent, Reginald Centracchio, have very different, but equally ambitious, plans for the Office of the Lieutenant Governor, which is up for grabs in next week's election.

Roberts, a state senator who represents Rhode Island's 28th district, has spent much of her five terms in the state senate working to reform the state's health care system. Three years ago, she spearheaded legislation to reform health insurer Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island. As a nonprofit company created by the Rhode Island General Assembly, Blue Cross Blue Shield is really a "public service organization," but it had "lost sight of (its) mission," Roberts said.

Roberts was also instrumental in the recent passage of a package of bills aimed at increasing the affordability of health care for small businesses.

In contrast, Centracchio would bring 48 years of military experience to the lieutenant governor's office. He retired as adjutant general of the Rhode Island National Guard in 2005, having enlisted in the military at the age of 17.

Centracchio says his military career has been excellent preparation for the lieutenant governor's job. Ten of his 48 years of military service were in the executive branch, and he has worked with nine different governors over the course of his career. His military career entailed work with multi-million dollar budgets, negotiations with unions and the management of major payrolls, Centracchio said.

"I know what lieutenant governors are supposed to do," he said, adding, "it's not a matter of having to train for it, it's a matter of continuing what I've been doing."

Centracchio said emergency preparedness is one of his greatest concerns for the state.

"After all is said and done, if you don't have a strong capability to deal with homeland security and emergency management, everything else is for naught," he said.

The lieutenant governor's office is a key component of emergency management, Centracchio said. "It is absolutely essential that we have a strong executive branch. ... We must in fact be able to transfer power between the governor and lieutenant governor in a seamless, transparent way," he said.

For Centracchio, this highlights one reason he supports combining the lieutenant governor and governor's races on the same ticket.

To prepare Rhode Island for an emergency, Roberts said she would implement "coordinated regional emergency management," which would involve cooperation between neighboring states and institutions like hospitals.

Centracchio said he agrees with Roberts that health care must become more affordable for individuals and small business and supports the WellCare plan proposed by Gov. Donald Carcieri '65. WellCare includes "wellness aspects" such as reducing sugar consumption among children in elementary schools and proposes computerizing the antiquated system of recordkeeping at hospitals and doctor's offices throughout the state.

Though funding sources for the plan still need to be finalized, WellCare is included in the governor's current budget.

Centracchio said WellCare is affordable, in contrast to universal health care, which - on top of under-funded state health care and pension programs already in existence - "doesn't work and we can't possibly afford."

Insurers, the state and health care professionals all need to participate in a "myriad composite effort for coming up with ways and means to have affordable health care in the state," Centracchio said.

There is a third candidate in the lieutenant governor's race: Independent Robert Healey, whose campaign platform is that, if elected, he would eliminate the Office of the Lieutenant Governor.

"(Healy) belongs at a future Constitutional Convention, not a general election," Centracchio said of his opponent, who is running for office remotely from Uruguay.

Fulfilling the responsibilities of the officeRhode Island's lieutenant governor is responsible for regulating long-term health care, an area in which both candidates have proposals.

Centracchio advocates more state support for home and community care for the elderly, which he says will provide more choices for seniors and their families and cut in half the cost to the state for long-term care. His plan includes providing tax credits for family members caring for their elderly relatives and building new affordable housing units equipped for the elderly.

Roberts also advocates greater emphasis on home-based care and has worked to improve nursing home care during her time in office with Lt. Gov. Charles Fogarty, who is running on the Democratic ticket in the gubernatorial race.

Both candidates have in-depth plans for economic growth. Centracchio advocates taking full advantage of Rhode Island's "niches," citing Narragansett Bay and institutions including Brown and the University of Rhode Island as examples.

"Rhode Island could be a center for excellence in port security. ... We have everything it takes," Centracchio said.

Centracchio also advocates leveraging the state's biomedical capabilities and geographic location between Boston and New York. "We need to look at (our economy) as a portfolio. ... We need to build every single industry and capability we have in Rhode Island," he said.

At the same time, the state needs to take care to "grow smart" and maintain rural areas, Centracchio said.

Roberts also advocates expanding Rhode Island's biomedical industry. "We have real potential to be involved in stem cell research nationally," she said, adding that Brown is among the universities that are "very important" to that effort.

Centracchio said those who characterize him as opposed to stem cell research are incorrect. "I am in full favor of adult stem cell research," he said, adding that embryonic stem cell research that does not destroy the genetic composition of the embryo should be pursued.