More students, faculty on campus mulling contemplative studies

Group of professors pushes to make growing field a U.

The burgeoning field of contemplative studies is beginning to gain a foothold at the University. Twenty-five students are taking UC 54: "Introduction to Contemplative Studies" this semester, and the Contemplative Studies Initiative, led by a group of faculty from a range of disciplines, is working to establish a concentration in the field.

Contemplative studies is the study and identification of contemplative states of mind and the scientific basis for these states, said Professor of Religious Studies Harold Roth, who teaches UC 54. "(Contemplative studies) is bridging what people have seen as an unbridgeable gap between science and religion," Roth said, adding, "We're not trying to convert anyone to a religion, it's more about exploring consciousness."

Roth said he is hoping to submit an application for a new contemplative studies concentration to the College Curriculum Council later this semester. He said he doesn't think the CCC will consider the application until next fall, but he hopes to have a concentration available by Spring 2007. Roth said he is "optimistic" and "hopeful" but "absolutely not" confident the proposal will be accepted.

If the CCC doesn't approve the concentration, Roth said faculty involved in the initiative will "continue to advise students."

The proposed concentration will be feasible for students who want to pursue double concentrations, Roth said. There will be three basic tracks - science, humanities and creative arts.

In December, the CCC approved UC 54. "(I was) totally overwhelmed from the first day of class," Roth said. The classroom had space for 12 students, but 50 showed up, he said.

A unique part of the class is the meditation lab held three times a week. Roth said this allows the students to "get a chance to try out different meditation techniques that are coordinated with readings in the class."

UC 54 grew out of a Spring 2004 Group Independent Study Project titled "Foundations of Contemplative Studies," although it is a very different course now, Roth said.

The idea for a contemplative studies concentration grew out of a Wayland seminar on the contemplative mind during the 2002-2003 academic year, according to Roth. As part of the seminar, a group of faculty met every three weeks to discuss and define various types of contemplative experiences. The seminar also included 10 lectures. Since then, around seven professors have met to develop a contemplative studies concentration, Roth said.

Eighteen faculty members participated in the Wayland seminar, in addition to faculty members from the psychology department and the Brown Medical School, Roth said.

Kate MacSwain '04 completed an independent concentration in contemplative studies in 2004. Described as a "real pioneer" by Roth, MacSwain told The Herald her independent concentration was similar to the proposed concentration but focused more on the sciences.

Several students in UC 54 also expressed a general interest in the field of contemplative studies.

Katherine Feeney '07, a neuroscience concentrator enrol-led in UC 54, said during her sophomore year she became "frustrated with reductionist, simplistic, even dogmatic underpinnings of (the) neuroscience discipline." Contemplative studies provides a "middle ground," Feeney said.

Another student in Roth's class, Paul Krueger '07.5, said contemplative studies "gives more meaning to the science I do and what I want to do with my life."

Joel Dietz '04, an administrative assistant in the Department of Religious Studies who does work for the Contemplative Studies Initiative, said that the "division between academic fields didn't seem appropriate. ... (Contemplative studies) brings together the best of different fields."

For her part, Kate Ganim '08 said that UC 54 is not what she expected. The course is "supposed to integrate neuroscience with philosophy but only takes into account Eastern religions and meditative practices," she said, adding that they haven't studied any neuroscience yet.

In the future, Roth said he hopes to develop new interdepartmental courses in contemplative studies. Roth said there is a proposed long-term project involving cognitive testing of students in a Fall 2006 class he is teaching on Buddhist meditation.

Efforts to expand the field at Brown coincide with a "growing movement in contemplative pedagogy," Roth said. Harvard University has a mind, brain and behavior institute, while the University of Michigan and Rice University have been exploring contemplative studies. "(The University) really has a chance to do something important (and) unique: to make Brown a leader in education in a rapidly developing new area," Roth said.

"What's different here (at Brown) is we include much more of humanities as well as creative arts," Roth said, "(It) is more advanced, more developed, further along."