Independent concentrations may be on the rise, say IC Week organizers

Organizers of this year's "Independent Concentration Week," which runs through Friday, speculate that programming changes along with a recent on-campus trend toward interdisciplinary studies in both medicine and digital media will draw more students to the week's events.

On average, Brown graduates approximately seven independent concentrators a year, one of the smallest totals of any University concentration.

Associate Dean of the College Carolyn Denard, who has overseen the Independent Concentration Program since the fall of 2005, said she thinks "Independent Concentration Week" will serve to inform more students of the potentially rewarding academic path.

"The problem is that many students do not know about (the program)," Denard said. In the future, she hopes the low number of independent concentrators each year will not be attributed to a general lack of knowledge regarding options within the program.

Tiffany Villa-Ignacio GS, a graduate proctor for the Independent Concentration Program, said the fact that independent concentrators need to demonstrate that their proposal does not fall under Brown's existing concentration offerings in order to secure approval might limit the number who complete such programs.

Shoshana Lavinghouse '06, an independent concentrator, indicated that a lack of knowledge might deter students from pursuing independent concentrations, but she added that the diversity of Brown's standard concentrations might cause many students to find an existing concentration that already covers their academic interest.

Still, Villa-Ignacio believes there is a growing trend of students developing interdisciplinary programs to cater to their specific interests.

"Merging interdisciplinary fields - for example bioethics - are beginning to show themselves in the Independent Concentration Program," Villa-Ignacio said.

Such independent concentrations, Villa-Ignacio speculates, could eventually become standard in five to 10 years.

Administrators and students within the Independent Concentration Program hope to raise student awareness through open discussions about possible options within the program.

Independent concentrators will present their research and projects over the course of two roundtable lunches taking place today and Thursday. Four current and two tentatively approved independent concentrators will give presentations on topics ranging from "Trauma Studies" to "Interactive Digital Media."

In addition to attracting students interested in emerging interdisciplinary fields, this year's "Independent Concentration Week" organizers are hoping for a higher turnout due to format changes.

According to Lavinghouse, unlike previous years, this week's programming is designed to be more invitational and accessible for students. Lavinghouse, who decided to pursue an independent concentration at the end of her first year, will be speaking at today's meeting about her concentration, which is titled "The Development of Science" and incorporates science and history.

In the past, meetings and discussions devoted to the program were scheduled in the evening and were only centered on the work of seniors. This year, members involved in the week hope casual lunchtime discussions featuring both juniors and seniors will draw more of an audience.

Reflecting on her own experiences completing an independent concentration, Lavinghouse said she perceives herself as "more able to talk about what I learned." She added the experience forced her to fully assess what she was doing at Brown.

For some students, realizing that an independent concentration is not for them may be a rewarding experience in itself. "The fact that it's an option makes you think about your education," Villa-Ignacio said.