Young alum climbs city's political ranks

At age 25, Chris Bizzacco '03.5 has an impressive resume.

Five years ago, during his sophomore year, he interned for a young state representative from the East Side's District 4. That representative, David Cicilline '83, went on to be elected mayor of Providence in 2002, and Bizzacco is now his chief of staff.

His responsibilities include working alongside Providence City Council members, acting as a liaison between City Hall and various boards and commissions, helping to prepare the budget, advising the mayor and managing day-to-day activities in the mayor's office. His annual salary is $100,000.

Bizzacco, who served as the mayor's deputy chief of staff since Cicilline took office in January 2003, was promoted to chief of staff in May. His new job entails increased contact with outside entities such as members of the business community and governmental boards.

"You act more as an adviser directly to the mayor," Bizzacco said of his new position. "It's a bit more of an expanded universe of work and responsibility."

A Providence native, Bizzacco hails from a family with a long history of political involvement in Rhode Island. His late grandfather served as a city council president in Johnston and his mother was elected to the North Providence School Committee. Bizzacco said he is motivated by "their involvement and encouragement in being an active member in a community."

"The position I'm in now is certainly a good way to participate in the work that's being done (in my community)," Bizzacco said.

Bizzacco's public service began during his sophomore year at Brown with a short stint in the Rhode Island Office of the Public Defender. He said the experience gave him a firsthand look at problems facing Providence.

Bizzacco started working for then-Rep. Cicilline later that year, researching issues including campaign finance reform and gun safety. When Cicilline announced his candidacy for mayor later that year, he named Bizzacco his campaign manager.

Cicilline won the 2002 general election with 84 percent of the vote.

Bizzacco's duties as campaign manager included finding and coordinating hundreds of volunteers, ensuring mail went out on time, organizing debates with other candidates and working at the polls on election day.

Earlier this year, after then-Chief of Staff Michael Mello stepped down to become president of the Rhode Island Independent Higher Education Association, Cicilline promoted Bizzacco to fill the position.

"I wasn't expecting to become as involved as I am now," Bizzacco said of his quick move up in the political ranks.

"You have a unique opportunity as a student at Brown, if you have political aspirations, to engage in the government here," he added.

Bizzacco recommended local public service as a launch pad for students with political ambition. "It's advantageous to begin here at the local level even if it's not for a considerable amount of time," he said. "You see the true impact of federal policies at the local level."

Bizzacco views public service as an educational experience. "There is so much that you can learn strictly from academia, and to be involved in the actual decision-making ... is an opportunity to learn more," he said. "It's a way to continue your education a little informally but definitely to your advantage."

He spoke of the strengths of Brown's curriculum in encouraging students to gain real-world experience.

"I think that Brown's curriculum and its structure allow you to move fluidly between those different arenas in a way that other universities don't," he said.

Bizzacco returns to campus each year to participate in Career Week and answer students' questions about working in government, networking and becoming involved in public service.

Though he declined to confirm rumors of aspirations to serve as mayor or governor, Bizzacco said he does plan to run for office after he attends graduate school.