Water shutdown creates sanitation problems in Keeney

A leak in the main water line leading into Keeney Quadrangle left the dormitory without water for most of the day Sunday. Water was turned off to make emergency repairs to the water main.

The water was turned off around 8 p.m. Saturday and remained off until about 3:30 p.m. yesterday, except for a short period overnight, according to an e-mail to all Keeney residents from Derek Henries, manager of the Facilities Management service response center. The extended time without water was due to the deep underground location of the leaking pipe, which required excavation to repair.

Cold weather caused the pipe to crack, and a large rock located beneath the pipe caused it to rupture, said James Coen, director of maintenance services for Facilities Management. The pipe has been replaced by 12 feet of new pipe installed on top of clean fill to ensure that another rupture does not happen, Coen said.

The water interruption caused sanitation problems in Keeney, which houses about 600 students, mostly first-years, and is the largest self-contained residential complex on campus. Blockages in many Keeney bathrooms were reported, especially as many students were unaware of the shutoff before using the toilets on Saturday night.

"The toilets were filled ... and the whole bathroom was filthy. Even the sinks were disgusting. It was generally not very habitable," said Lexi Klebanow '10, who lives in Jameson House, one of the six houses within Keeney.

Vomit-covered sheets and clothing - perhaps the remnants of excessive alcohol consumption the night before - littered Keeney hallways, and a foul stench permeated the building. Keeney residents faced overflowing toilets, vomit-filled sinks and soaked carpets.

All Keeney residents were given electronic card access to buildings on Wriston Quadrangle to use their bathrooms and showers, but many Keeney residents sought refuge in other dorms and even in hotels.

"I took a shower in Hope," said Joy Neumeyer '10, who lives in Poland House. "It was pretty unpleasant, but it was resolved quickly, so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience."

The water shutoff disrupted many students' normal routines, making Sunday rituals like doing laundry and washing dishes impossible.

Despite the disturbance, most students found ways to deal with the shutdown. "I just walked into a random frat house and looked around until I found a shower," said Ethan Currens '10, who lives in Archibald House. "I got some funny looks, but it was OK."