Students undress for Starf*ck ads

Students took off their clothes and put on jewelry, boas and various costumes Saturday to pose for risque advertisements for Queer Alliance's Starf*ck party.

Forty students came to model for the photographs. They were invited through QA, the Female Sexuality Workshop and other groups. "Anyone and everyone was certainly welcome to go," said Amanda Lehtinen '08.5, a member of the QA dance committee who modeled for the photographs.

This year, the posters will include costumes and accessories. "We played around with the idea that you don't have to be completely nude to be sexy," said Kathryn Lamb '10, who also modeled for the photographs. Many students came to the shoot with their own props or jewelry at the request of the photographer, said Daniel Scudellari '07. Some came in drag.

Advertisements for Starf*ck and its counterpart in the fall, Sex Power God, have long been known for being provocative and became more so in the fall of 2005 when, for the first time, students were the models. The event coordinator at the time "wanted to make the posters more Brown-specific," said QA Head Chair Michael DeLucia '07.

Both Lehtinen and Lamb laughed when describing the experience of being photographed for the ads. Lehtinen said she felt shy at first, but after she took part, she felt liberated. "It was a good Saturday afternoon activity," Lamb said.

DeLucia emphasized that the posters - like the dance itself - are intended as a place for sexual expression and liberation. "It's about pushing your boundaries, about losing your boundaries," he said.

Starf*ck will be held March 17 in Alumnae Hall.