Interim EMS manager appointed

Tom Lawrence, who was recently named interim manager of Brown Emergency Medical Services, met Wednesday with student Emergency Medical Technicians to discuss the future of EMS.

Lawrence will serve as manager this month while University officials seek a permanent replacement for former manager Richard Lapierre, who resigned from the post in February, wrote Director of Health Services Edward Wheeler in an e-mail sent Saturday to student EMTs.

Lawrence is currently an EMS training coordinator for Rhode Island and Hasbro Children's hospitals and has experience as an instructor for a number of EMT classifications, Wheeler wrote.

Lawrence's duties will include monitoring EMS procedures to ensure "what we are doing is safe, meets EMS state protocols, meets Joint Commission standards and is of high quality," Wheeler wrote. Lawrence will also develop new care protocols, update EMS worker documentation and provide educational opportunities for student EMTs.

"We are especially interested in looking at ways to enhance the educational experience of the student EMT program, and Tom Lawrence will be important in that effort," Margaret Klawunn, associate vice president for campus life and dean of student life, told The Herald.

The announcement of Lawrence's appointment comes after the unexpected resignations earlier this semester of Lapierre and EMT Supervisor Anthony Fusco.

Lawrence will "relieve the other supervisors from the extra shifts that they have been covering," Klawunn said. His appointment will also help supplement the existing Health Services staff in April, which is typically a "busy month" for the department, Klawunn said.

At Wednesday's meeting with student EMTs, Lawrence "presented his ideas for EMS and told us what he wants to get done while he is here," said Beth Hoffman '07, a senior EMT.

"I hope that, since he has a fresh eye ... that he can be objective in looking at what we are doing (at EMS) and help us improve," Hoffman said. She added that she hopes he can "help to improve communication with the rest of Health Services."

"I am really excited. He is well-qualified. He will be great for the program, at least until we can get a permanent director," Hoffman said.