SAO's second sober 'First Friday' event set for Thursday, Oct. 4

This semester the Student Activities Office has begun sponsoring performance and social events in Faunce House on the first Friday of every month. The events, called First Fridays, are being held in order to "bring Faunce alive" in anticipation of its transformation into the Stephen Robert '62 Campus Center, said Director of Student Activities Ricky Gresh.

Gresh, who conceived of the First Friday events, told The Herald the University wants to make the space more of a hub for social events before renovations take place. To this end, Interim Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services Russell Carey '91 MA'06 allocated $20,000 for programming in Faunce in order to make it more of a destination for campus social life.

On Sept. 7, the inaugural First Friday was held. It featured a cappella groups, ballroom dancing lessons, stand-up comedy, live music, games and free food. The future events will also be a mixture of student performances and activities, Gresh said.

Although Faunce already houses many events and activities, Gresh said the ultimate goal of the First Friday events and the renovations are to create a place where students will go to see what is happening on weekends rather than waiting until they hear about an event.

"Students don't automatically think, 'I'm going to Faunce to see what's up,' " Gresh said.

First Friday events will be planned primarily by student volunteers with help from the Student Activities Office.

Due to the Columbus Day holiday, the First Friday for the month of October will be held on Oct. 4, a Thursday.

Any campus group is invited to participate and become involved in the planning of these events, said Molly Cohen '09, one of the volunteers.