M. soccer cleans up Ivy honors

After denying other Ivy League teams a single victory during Brown's 7-0 undefeated season reign, it's only fair that the men's soccer team is now hoarding the Ivy League awards.

The Bears' accolades include Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year, five First Team All-Ivy selections, one Second Team All-Ivy selection and two Honorable Mention selections.

Defender Matt Britner '07.5 took the top prize with the Ivy League Player of the Year recognition. "I'm very grateful for the honor," he said. "I was pretty surprised."

Britner has suffered ACL tears in both of his knees - one during each of the past two seasons. But after sitting out most of last year's games, he dominated the field this season as the Bears' defense allowed only 14 goals over the course of 16 regular-season games. The outstanding performance earned him Player of the Year and a unanimous selection to the First Team.

But Britner remained humble, instead focusing on his teammates' accomplishments. "Honestly, I'm happier that the team gained recognition," Britner said. "Several players were honored, and I think we could have had more."

Paul Grandstrand '11 claimed Rookie of the Year distinction after an impressive season in the net that included six of the Bears' seven Ivy victories. The goalkeeper was named Rookie of the Year almost unanimously and also earned Second Team recognition.

Defender Rhett Bernstein '09, forwards Kevin Davies '08 and Dylan Sheehan '09 and midfielder Nick Elenz-Martin '10 rounded out Brown's presence on the First Team.

Bernstein was named to the pre-season Missouri Athletic Club's Hermann Trophy Watch List and anchored the Bears' defense throughout the season. He also scored one goal and had one assist.

Meanwhile, Sheehan and Davies tallied 10 goals apiece. Out of those, Sheehan had four game-winners and Davies had three. Elenz-Martin also scored a pair of game-winning goals. For assists, Sheehan posted six, Davies posted three and Elenz-Martin posted four.

Midfielder Darren Howerton '09 and defender Chris Roland '10 earned honorable mentions. Howerton tallied a team high of nine assists, in addition to two game-winning goals. Roland was a crucial contributor to the Bears' strong defense this season, and he recorded one goal and one assist.

But the Bears have more work ahead of them, when they host Old Dominion University in the second round of the NCAA playoffs Wednesday at 7 p.m.

"Right now, we're just focusing on the team and doing well on Wednesday," Britner said.