Lupe Fiasco booked for Spring Weekend

Rapper Lupe Fiasco is scheduled to perform Friday, April 11, as part of Spring Weekend, a spokeswoman for Atlantic Records, which represents the artist, confirmed.

David Horn '08, the booking chair of the Brown Concert Agency, which is in charge of bringing the entertainment to campus, said that BCA "can't confirm or deny" the Spring Weekend lineup at this point. It is not yet clear which other artists will be performing at Spring Weekend, but Horn said BCA plans to announce the full lineup later this month, once all of the bookings are confirmed.

BCA wants to make Spring Weekend more of a festival this year, he said, trying to connect the two main concerts on Friday and Saturday by adding entertainment from other student groups - such as dance, comedy and other musical performances. They are still in the early stages of coordinating these plans, however, Horn said, so the details have not been worked out.

Spring Weekend, which is scheduled for April 10-13 this year, will once again include solo performer Dave Binder, according to the singer's Web site. A folk singer known for his tours around college campuses, Binder is considered a staple of Spring Weekend, performing covers of songs from several genres during his traditional Sunday afternoon show.

Horn said that BCA members think that having shows Friday evening and Saturday afternoon "worked really well" last year and plan to keep this schedule. One of last year's performers, The Roots, was initially scheduled to play on Thursday, but the show was moved to Friday because of conflicts with the band's touring schedule.

Horn said that BCA is still uncertain about locations for the weekend's shows but that Meehan Auditorium will be the rain location for both.

"I'm really looking forward to announcing the lineup in the coming weeks," Horn said.