Summer renovations in store for Caswell, Minden

Caswell, Miller, Metcalf, Hegeman, Barbour, Littlefield, Perkins, Minden and Slater halls and Graduate Center Tower A, Vartan Gregorian Quad B and New Pembroke 4 are all to be refurbished to varying degrees during the summer of 2008.The University will spend between $5 and $6 million on these upgrades, said Russell Carey '91 MA'06, vice president of campus life and student services.

Currently approved plans include roof replacements in Caswell, Miller, Metcalf, Perkins, New Pembroke 4 and Slater. A boiler will also be replaced in Minden and bathrooms will be repaired in Vartan Gregorian Quad B, Hegeman and Barbour. Caswell and Hegeman will receive fresh paint and flooring, while Grad Center Tower A will also get a fresh coat of paint.

Carey said University officials have been talking about both the "quality and the quantity of housing" over the last few years. Students spend a lot of time in their dorm rooms, and the renovations should "improve student experience," he said.

Student opinion plays a big role in the renovation planning process, Carey said. Administators took into account anecdotes from the Residential Council and more "quantified" evidence from service calls when they decided where to make improvements, he said. The plans are "a result of student feedback," Carey said. "It's a great example of students having a voice."

He and Paul Dietel, director of project management for Facilities Management, said that dorm improvements take place on campus every year. Slater and Machado House were repainted last summer, they said.

They said some of the renovations, such as the roof replacements and mechanical work, would not be immediately obvious to many residents. But, Carey said, it's important to start with such projects before moving on to interior cosmetic improvements.

This summer's work is part of a long-term strategy to improve on-campus housing, Carey said. The University plans to spend around $24 million over the next few years on housing improvements, he said.

The administration has also started early-stage planning for new dorm construction, although it remains unclear when work on a new residence hall might begin. The idea of expanding housing would represent an effort to match Brown's peers, some of whom can house 90 percent of students on-campus, Carey said, while Brown can only house 80 percent currently.

The Corporation, the University's highest governing body, recently approved Phase II of the Plan for Academic Enrichment, which endorses the goal of new housing "as planning and finances allow," Carey said.

Renovation projects currently in the planning stages include systems improvements throughout Miller and Metcalf and replacement of the elevator in Minden Hall. Due to the large-scale nature of these projects, more time spent planning and preparing is required, Carey said.

Summer housing presents another difficulty, he said. The University uses its dorms over the summer for various programs that the renovations must be scheduled around, Carey said.

Caswell residents interviewed by The Herald didn't have many complaints. The students agreed that the dorm was in a great location and appreciated the room size. Some said the dorm's only lounge needed renovations.

"They definitely need to fix the lounge," said resident Matthew Gariboldi '10. According to a report from Facilities Management, the floor of the lounge is decomposing and will be replaced this summer. He added that lighting in some Caswell rooms was poor. Caswell Hall's need for renovations notwithstanding, Liling Soh '10, another resident, said she thinks "it's one of the better dorms."