Amtrak train hits railroad workers

An Amtrak train struck three railroad workers Thursday afternoon just north of the Providence station, killing one and injuring the other two.

At about 1:15 p.m., the northbound Acela train number 2154, which runs from Washington to Boston, hit the two Amtrak employees and one contractor, all of whom were inspecting the rails, according to an Amtrak statement. It is unclear which worker was killed, and the two injured workers were rushed to a local hospital, the statement said.

Vernae Graham, an Amtrak spokeswoman, had no information Thursday night beyond the company's statement.

Following the incident, traffic was suspended on the Providence-Boston line until 3:48 p.m., when service re-commenced. Train 2154 was released after investigation and continued to Boston. Slight delays were expected to affect traffic yesterday evening but there should be no significant schedule changes today, the statement said.

MBTA trains continued to run throughout the day, and their schedule is unaffected by the incident, the Providence Journal reported.

In the area where the workers were hit, the maximum train speed limit is 55 mph. Train 2154 was operating below that limit when the workers were struck, the statement said.

Train 2154 was transporting 162 passengers and six employees when the workers were hit, the statement said.