Apprehension of pie-thrower out of line

To the Editor:

I find Assistant Professor of Biology Stephen Porder's "apprehension" of Margaree Little '08.5 reprehensible ("One of Friedman pie throwers identified," April 24). It was a cavalier act and should be condemned. What makes Porder believe that he has the right to make a "citizen's arrest?" The last time I checked, the only people permitted to use force on this campus are the men and women who belong to the Department of Public Safety. Porder is a professor at this University, and as such should have restrained himself. He had no right to hold Little's hands behind her back and march her over to DPS officers. I ask you to consider a question: Did Little have the right to defend herself against Porder? What would have been the penalty if she had? The ambiguity surrounding these questions reveals the magnitude of Porder's mistake.

In case I am being misread as supporting Little and her accomplice, I would note that I support the University's decision if it decides to reprimand Little as well as its quest to identify her male counterpart. Still, Porder's vigilante justice is just as out of touch with our democratic ideals as the "protest" of these two students. Thus, I would make two recommendations: First, to Porder, leave the tough guy act at home and allow DPS to do the job that we have entrusted them to perform. Second, I recommend that the University review Porder's actions to determine whether they were in fact in violation of any University policies. He should be held to the same standard as Little and her friend.

Rakim Brooks '09April 24