January term needs credit

To the Editor:

I was disappointed to read The Herald's recent editorial ("Time to junk J-term?", Oct. 2) and news article ("J-term in peril from low enrollment," Oct. 1) about the current status of January@Brown, Brown's J-term pilot program, which began as an almost entirely student-run initiative in 2006. Students who have taken part in January@Brown over the past two years have called the program "amazing," "eye-opening" and have positively noted the program's community-based focus. I personally believe that an ideal January term can reflect typically Brunonian characteristics, such as an emphasis on individuality, "learning for learning's sake" and a recognition of peer and community-based study as a goal in and of itself.

However, January@Brown will only be at its strongest when the program can offer credit for the courses students give their January to complete. UCS representatives who dangle the possibility of a "transcript mention" if enough students sign up for J-term make a fundamental mistake about the nature of student representation. It is UCS's job to proactively advocate for a better J-term, including credit, in order to draw more students to the program. UCS cannot hope for a sudden influx of students without first working on students' behalf to ensure that J-term is a program worth attending.

I have no doubt that UCS hopes that January@Brown continues and thrives - I do as well. However, hope alone will not fulfill January@Brown's incredible promise. Only hard work and successful advocacy by the representatives students elect will.

Tristan Freeman '07

Former Vice President

Undergraduate Council of Students

Oct. 2