Equestrian starts strong

Correction appended.

The equestrian team got its season off to a good start with a second-place finish out of ten teams at University of Rhode Island's Faith Hill Farm on Saturday. Brown spent much of the show in third place, and eventually finished just three points behind host URI for the win. Liz Giliberti '10 led the way for the Bears with a first-place finish in the Open Fences event and a second-place finish in the Open Flat, to earn a team-high 12 points. The team also got strong performances in the Walk Trot, where Kona Shen '10 turned in a second-place finish, and Cate Berger '11, though not riding as a point-rider for the Bears, earned first place. Jenny Grover '10 also had a great day as a non-point rider, coming away with the victory in the Walk Trot Canter.

Captain Rachel Griffith '10 had a solid outing, as well, with third-place finishes in both the Intermediate Fences and Intermediate Flat categories, earning a total of six points for Brown. The team also got strong performances from its young riders, as Dakota Gruener '11 won the Novice Flat and Katy Eng '11 earned second place as the point rider for the Bears in the Walk Trot Canter. Brown will return to action on Saturday at Trinity's Farmington Equestrian Center.

A photo accompanying a sports article in last week's Herald ("Equestrian starts strong," Oct. 8) was incorrectly credited. The photo is courtesy of Amy Lowitz '09.