Fencing teams cruise to top spots at regional tournament

The men's and women's fencing teams both won their competitions at the Northeast Fencing Conference No. 1 tournament last Thursday at the University of New Hampshire. Both teams placed first by large margins, defeating five other schools in all three events.

On the women's side, Francesca Bartholomew '11 and Vivian Truong '12 set the tone for the rest of the day by going 11-1 and 11-2, respectively, in the foil. The women compiled a 38-7 record overall, including sweeping victories against Boston University and UMass. In epee, veteran Robyn Thvedt '09 led the way by going 11-4, which helped the team secure first place in the event. In the saber, Charlotte Rose '09 went a perfect 10-0, as the team notched a 34-11 record.

The women took home first place with a convincing 71.9 percent winning percentage.

The men also shined in their competitions. Two Bears, Adam Pantel '10 and Jonathan Yu '11, went undefeated in their matches, as the team finished 34-2 in the foil. In the epee, the Bears continued to add wins as they went 25-11 overall. Combined with the 23-13 record the team recorded in the saber, the men won first place with a 75.9 percent winning percentage.

The men will return to action this weekend when they travel to Waltham, Mass. to compete in the Brandeis Invitational.