Sports weekend wrap-up

The Bears were well represented on the road last weekend, taking on teams from all over New England.

W. tennis

The women's tennis team pulled out a tight 4-3 win over Boston University on Sunday afternoon. The match came down to the winner of the doubles point as each team split its singles matches, 3-3. At number one doubles, Bianca Aboubakare '11 and Sara Mansur '09 put together an 8-6 win. At number three, Kathrin Sorokko '10 and Emily Ellis '10 fell 6-8 shortly after the conclusion of the number one game.

Cassandra Herzberg '12 and Marisa Schonfeld '11 won a close 9-8 (4) decision to claim the decisive doubles point for the team. Aboubakare and Herzberg provided two key wins for the Bears in singles at number one and two. The Bears will look to continue their success in the new year with two home matches against Army on Sat. at 11 a.m. and Buffalo on Sun. at 10 a.m.

M. swimming and diving

Harvard remained undefeated on the year as the men's swimming and diving team dropped a 169-119 decision to Brown on Saturday. Daniel Ricketts '09 swam to three victories on the day for the Bears in the 50 free (21.10 seconds), the 100 free (46.37), and the 100 fly (50.30). Conor Carlucci '11 followed Ricketts for second (51.99) in the 100 fly, combining for a solid one-two punch in the event. Carlucci also notched a second-place finish for the Bears in the 100 back (54.99). J.D. Pinto '10 led the way for Brown in the 200 back (1:53.81), recording one of five first place finishes in the meet. The Bears closed out the meet strong, winning two of the final events. Ryan Kikuchi '11 won the 400 IM (4:04.62) and the 200 free relay team of David Koweek '09, James Hunter '12, Richard Alexander '09 and Carlucci finished off the meet also with a win (1:27.44).

W. swimming and diving

The Crimson also prevailed over the women's swimming and diving team as the Bears fell 199.5-99.5. Allyson Schumacher '12 tallied the Bears' first victory on the day in the 200 free (1:52.09). Candice Sisouvanvieng-Kim '11 swam a 24.21 in the 50 free to notch the second win for the team. The free proved to be a strong event for Brown, as Kristen Caldarella '12 claimed the 100 free title (53.36). Kelley Wisinger '11 notched the final victory in the pool for the Bears, as she led her team to a one-two sweep in the 200 back (2:07.44) as Sage Erskine '11 followed closely behind in second (2:09.76). Sisouvanvieng-Kim, Caldarella, Susannah Ford '10 and Schumacher led the way for Brown in the relays as the team combined for a second-place finish in the 200 free relay (1:39.02).

M. squash

The no. 14 men's squash team came away with their third consecutive victory as they handed Bowdoin an 8-1 defeat. Adrian Leanza '11 began the day for the Bears with a solid 3-0 win at number one, helping the team gain the momentum it carried into the remainder of the match. Adam Greenberg '10 at number three, Brad Thompson '12 at number four, Patrick Davis '10 at number five, Tucker Bryan '12 at number seven and Brett Camarda '09 at number nine followed up Leanza's performance with five 3-0 decisions of their own. The Bears will look to continue their success on into their Ivy League match-up with Dartmouth on Saturday.

W. squash

The no. 10 women's squash team equaled the men in their performance, defeating Bowdoin 8-1 for their third straight victory. Charlotte Steel '09 catapulted the Bears to a strong showing on the day with a 3-0 win at number one. Breck Haynes '09 lost a hard-fought five-game match, falling 3-2. After the close loss, Brown did not turn back and won the next seven matches. Kali Schellenberg '10 at number five, Nikoo Fadaifard '12 at number six, Carolyn Tilney '11 at number seven, Sarah Roberts '10 at number eight and Charlotte MacMillan '09 at number nine each notched 3-0 victories for the Bears. The team will face Dartmouth and Stanford on Saturday.

M. track and field

Matt Jasmin '09 continued to excel in the 55-meter hurdles for the men's track and field team at the Boston University Terrier Invitational, a meet which also saw several strong performances in the field for Brown.

Top Performers

Jasmin: 55-meter hurdles, 7.70 s, 3rd place

Bryan Powlen '09: Shot Put, 15.82m, 5th

Andrew Chapin '10: Triple Jump, 14.15m, 6th

Jordan Maddocks '11: High Jump, 1.89m, 6th

Women's track and field

Brynn Smith '11 and Nicole Burns '09 led a solid effort for Brown at the Terrier Invitational, with Smith posting a second-place finish in the shot put, while Burns turned in an impressive race in the 500-meter run.

Top Performers

Smith: Shot Put, 14.71m, 2nd

Burns: 500m, 1:13.92, 3rd

Danielle Grunloh '10: Shot Put, 14.03m, 4th

Thelma Breezeatl '10: 55m, 7.19, 5th

Rachel Biblo '11: Triple Jump, 11.40m, 7th

Men's fencing

Brown went 5-1 as a team at the Northeastern Fencing Conference in the OMAC on Saturday, led by solid performances from the foil and saber squads. The team defeated Tufts, Vassar, Dartmouth, Boston College, and MIT, while losing to Brandeis.

Top Performers

Adam Pantel '10: 16-1 in foil

Jonathan Yu '11: 15-3 in foil

Peter Tyson '12: 12-6 in saber

Women's fencing

The women's foil squad went 5-2 at the NFC, also due to strong performances in foil and saber.

Top Performers

Linda Zhang '10: 7-1 in foil

Francesca Bartholomew '11: 12-3 in foil

Christina Salvatore '09: 14-7 in epee

Randy Alevi '10: 12-2 in saber