Rush events begin this week for Greek houses

This week marks the beginning of the recruitment period for Brown's eight fraternities and two sororities, though some houses have already hosted their kick-off events, and others will not begin to do so until this weekend.

Recruitment, said Mike Peterson '10, head of rush at Sigma Chi, "is probably the best part of the year."

Reasons for joining a Greek organization are varied, and while stereotypes may dominate students' perceptions about fraternities or sororities, members stressed the reality of the close-knit communities that exist within the houses.

While prospective brothers may have raucous parties or expanded social possibilities in mind when they decide to rush a fraternity, Greek life is much deeper than that, Peterson said,.

"There's a misconception. It's not all about partying," he said, continuing that a large part of the Sigma Chi experience revolves around tradition and close relationships between brothers.

Sigma Chi President George George '10 said that although this bonding may not initially be the main drive behind pledging a fraternity, relationships that develop between the brothers are "deeper than you might anticipate." The "camaraderie and strength of the relationships come later," he said.

Michelle Flagg '11, president of Alpha Chi Omega, also said that despite the various stereotypes attached to the Greek system, the actual experience is different.

Flagg wrote in an e-mail to The Herald that "the women who make up Brown's Chapter of AXO are not like the sorority girl stereotype in which many people believe." She continued that the truth about life in a sorority "is something we cannot advertise; girls just have to experience it themselves."

For Ian Nappier '10, president of Alpha Epsilon Pi, those most attracted to Greek Life are "people who enjoy having a community."

Phi Kappa Psi President Corey Goerdt '09 said that, for him, Greek life offered a way to meet people he otherwise never would have met, adding that Greek organizations, although they count only a small percentage of the student body as members, represent a wide diversity of students and play a large part in campus life.

The appeal of Greek organizations is often unexpected, particularly given the presence of less traditional options, like co-ed fraternities Alpha Delta Phi and Zeta Delta Xi. "A lot of the people in our house never expected to join a Greek organization," said Charlie Shrader '09, president of ADPhi.

On the other hand, for some, joining a Greek organization was on their minds early on: George said that several freshmen approached Sigma Chi brothers during one of the fraternity's parties this fall eager to know about the recruitment process and when they would be able to rush.

For fraternities, rush is overseen by the Greek Council, which has representatives from each Greek house on campus, but for sororities, recruitment is governed by Panhellenic Council, which includes only representatives from Brown's two sororities, Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Alpha Theta.

The sororities, said Ellie Cutler '10, the public relations chair on Greek Council and the membership chair of Kappa Alpha Theta, work together more than the fraternities and have a slightly different events schedule.

Some organizations, like Phi Psi, go into rush with a specific number of pledges in mind, Goerdt said. He said the number was flexible, but reported that his fraternity was looking for a pledge class of 13 or 14 men.

Shrader also said that ADPhi had somewhat specific numbers in mind, but said that the process was flexible.

Being co-ed, Shrader said, also adds another dimension to crafting a pledge class. And while he said the house hopes to attract prospective pledges regardless of gender, currently in ADPhi, there is a "solid female majority," and added that the fraternity would be looking to "strengthen the male side just a bit."

George said that Sigma Chi is relatively flexible in terms of numbers and emphasized the importance of selecting members who will be good matches for the fraternity.

All representatives from the Greek community reported that, so far, the events have been going well and turnout has been either on par with years past or slightly better.

Cutler said that there has been "a great turnout for a lot of different groups" and added that both sorority houses "had a lot of interest."