Bears of all stripes win Ivy athletic awards

Chelsey Binkley '11 was named the ECAC Gymnast of the Week for her performance against the University of Bridgeport at the Pizzitola Center Sunday. Though Brown lost narrowly, its team score of 189.575 was the highest the team had scored in a dual meet since 2004, and Binkley was an integral part of the Bears' success.

Binkley earned the only individual title of the day for Brown, winning the floor exercise with a score of 9.825, a personal best for Binkley in the event. She also set personal bests in two other events, scoring a 9.575 on the vault to finish fourth and a 9.650 on the beam, good enough for fifth place.

Though the men's basketball team lost two games over the weekend, Matt Mullery '10 was named to the Ivy Honor Roll for his strong play. In a 63-61 overtime loss to Dartmouth on Friday night, Mullery scored 12 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to record his first double-double of the season. Then, in a 64-63 loss to Harvard on Saturday, Mullery led the Bears with a career-high 27 points, 21 of which came in the second half, on 13-of-16 shooting from the field. Mullery is Brown's leading scorer this season, with 16.1 points per game, and his .582 field goal percentage is tops in the Ivy League.

In a rough weekend for women's basketball, Natalie Bonds '10 still managed to earn a selection to the Ivy Honor Roll for the second straight week. Bonds turned in an outstanding defensive effort in a 58-27 loss to Dartmouth on Friday, blocking seven shots, while also contributing seven points and four rebounds. Bonds is currently fifth in the Ivy League with 1.2 blocks per game.