U.'s top officers to discuss capital projects

When members of the Corporation gather on College Hill this weekend, they will face the sticky reality of an economic recession that threatens to derail or delay a number of planned construction projects on the University's radar.

Brown's top governing board is likely to have a "tougher standard" for evaluating whether or not to move forward with projects, said Richard Spies, executive vice president for planning and senior adviser to President Ruth Simmons. Given the economy, administrators will "almost certainly do less than we otherwise would have," he said.

In recent years, construction has sometimes been given the go-ahead to begin even before all money pledged by donors for the building is in hand. But one possible response from the Corporation this weekend, Spies said, is to withhold final approval on all projects until 100 percent of funds have been collected.

The Corporation also has authoritative input in choosing architects and approving design plans, said Steve Maiorisi, vice president for Facilities Management.

The current economic environment leaves the future of some high profile building projects in doubt. Some projects, like the Creative Arts Center, are ready to move forward, Associate Provost Pamela O'Neil said, because of success with fundraising for the building. With approval from the Corporation, the University hopes to break ground this summer, she said.

The renovation of Faunce House into an expanded campus center is also expected to go forward soon. But O'Neil said the Faunce changes may be split into two phases, with the renovation of the old mailroom area potentially moving forward sooner than the more extensive plans for the rest of the building.

Other projects, however, are less certain. Plans for a $70 million brain sciences building, provisionally dubbed the "Mind Brain Behavior Building," will be reviewed, but fundraising has been slow, according to Spies.

The Nelson Fitness Center and a new swim center are currently on hold, Maiorisi said, but recent developments may change plans for the swim center. Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration Beppie Huidekoper revealed on Wednesday, speaking at a meeting of the Undergraduate Council of Students, that an alum has pledged a large proportion of the needed funds for a new pool.

In addition to the initial costs of construction, increased operating costs from new buildings are also an important consideration when planning new projects, Spies said. With any new facility, there are usually increases to operating budgets that must be accounted for in University spending, he said, adding that the budget is a "main constraint."

In the meantime, the University may be looking to scale down projects or do renovations instead, O'Neil said. Classroom renovations have already taken place, and minor dorm upgrades will continue, with the pace of these projects determined by the economic situation, she said.

Despite the economic slowdown, Brown will still have access to debt markets that finance such renewal projects, Spies said.

The economic crisis does not mean that construction will stop, Maiorisi said, adding that potential donors can come in anytime, and that there is currently a very competitive market for construction.