Field hockey drops to 0-2 in Ivy League play

The field hockey team split a pair of home games last week, beating Sacred Heart, 3-2, on Wednesday before falling to Dartmouth, 8-3, on Saturday on Warner Roof. Bruno's 3-4 record is its best start since 2006, but the team has started 0-2 in Ivy League play for the third straight year.

On Wednesday, Elara Mosquera '13 scored the first two goals of her collegiate career and added an assist.

In the first half of the Sacred Heart game, the Bears outshot the Pioneers by a 12-1 margin, but the game remained scoreless for 32 minutes. Finally, 2:28 before halftime, Mosquera scored on a penalty corner after receiving a pass from Katie Hyland '11.

Brown doubled its lead 11:21 into the second frame after another penalty corner. After Hyland's shot was blocked, Mosquera got the rebound and found tri-captain Michaela Seigo '10, who beat Sacred Heart goalie Kim Stow high for her first goal of the season.
But the Pioneers, who came into the game with a 1-7 record, refused to go away, cutting the deficit to 2-1 just 3:56 later on a penalty corner of their own.

With 10:06 left in the game, Sacred Heart took a timeout, but the strategy backfired when Mosquera got the ball on the restart, took it down the field and beat Stow with a shot to the left corner of the cage, scoring what would eventually become the game-winning goal with 9:53 left.

Sacred Heart tacked on a garbage-time goal with 47 seconds left when Stephanie Fazio picked up a loose ball at midfield and took it all the way to the cage, but the Bears held on for the 3-2 win, thanks to three saves by Caroline Washburn '12.

On Saturday, the Big Green, who entered the game 1-4 overall and 0-1 in the Ivy League, took control in a hurry. Kelly Hood scored the first of her five goals on a penalty corner just 1:39 into the game, and Dartmouth added three more goals over the next 24:25 to take a 4-0 lead.

But the Bears rallied before halftime for a pair of goals to cut the deficit in half. With 7:35 left, Hyland scored on a penalty corner, with the assists going to Leslie Springmeyer '12 and Seigo. Nineteen seconds before halftime, Springmeyer took a pass from Kit Masini '12 and beat Dartmouth goalie Meagan Vakiener to give Bruno the momentum going into halftime.

Neither team could find the back of the cage for the first 21 minutes of the second half, until Hood scored on Dartmouth's fourth penalty corner in quick succession after Brown had stopped the previous three. The Big Green tacked on three more goals in the final eight minutes, while Hyland again scored on a penalty corner with 3:59 left, assisted by Springmeyer and Seigo. Washburn made eight saves in the 8-3 loss.

The Bears will look to bounce back in three games this week, taking road trips to Fairfield (3-6) on Tuesday and Harvard (3-3, 0-2 Ivy) on Saturday before hosting Vermont (1-8) on Warner Roof on Sunday at 2 p.m.