House to revise legislation next week

Members of the Rhode Island House of Representatives can expect to deal with unfinished business — including a change to prostitution law — when they meet for a special session next week. The House will also hold talks on the economy before next year's session, Speaker William Murphy, D-Dist. 26, wrote in a letter to representatives Monday.

Noting that a fall meeting is unusual for the body, Murphy wrote that the session was necessary due to the "dire fiscal situation" in the state. Both houses of the General Assembly will reconvene Oct. 28 and 29 for the first time since June's recess and the last time before next year's session starts.

The chamber will address laws on prostitution and driving while texting or under the influence, Murphy wrote, adding that he believes the measures can be passed during the short session. The prostitution legislation would close a loophole in state law that effectively allows prostitution as long as it occurs indoors.

The House will also address bills important to some local communities, Murphy wrote, though he did not provide any specifics.

Murphy also announced a Democratic caucus in November to create a plan for addressing the budget as well as an economic forum for all members in December.