M. tennis ends fall season with well-played tournament

Four men from the tennis team competed at the Harvard Halloween Tournament this past weekend. Andrew Yazmer '12, Jimmy Crystal '12, Luciano Musella '13 and Miles Garrigues '13 all played in both singles and doubles against players from six other schools. Yazmer advanced into the semifinals before he was stopped by Michael Hayes of Harvard. After each taking a set, the two fought a long battle in the third set, in which Yazmer fell 10-6.

Crystal also enjoyed a good singles tournament. After losing in the first round to Roope Kailaheimo of Stony Brook, Crystal fought his way back and won the final match in the back draw bracket against Davis Mangham of Harvard, 6-3, 6-4.

Musella also played well in the back draw bracket, advancing into the semifinals, but he was stopped there by Mangham. 

In the doubles competition, both pairs, Yazmer and Crystal and Musella and Garrigues, advanced through the first round. Yazmer and Crystal had a bye, and Musella and Garrigues narrowly defeated Dave Youvanoff and Ezra Bernstein of Brandeis, 8-6. But in the second round, Musella and Garrigues were stopped by Harvard after losing, 8-4. Yazmer and Crystal won their game against Dartmouth, 8-5. But the pair was defeated by the second Dartmouth doubles team in the semifinals and saw its tournament come to an end.

The men's tennis team has concluded its fall season. It will kick off its winter season with three consecutive home stands. The first will be on the weekend of Jan. 23 when Brown hosts the University at Buffalo, Boston University and Bryant.