M. soccer out at NCAA tourney with loss

The men's soccer team ended its season with a 2-0 loss to North Carolina Sunday afternoon in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

The Bears return from Chapel Hill, N.C., having finished the season with an 11-3-5 record. UNC will face Indiana in the third round of the tournament.

The Tar Heels scored the decisive goal in the 20th minute. Kirk Urso booted a free kick into the box, where Billy Schuler broke free from the Bruno defense to head the ball past Brown goalkeeper Paul Grandstrand '11.

UNC's suffocating defense held Brown without a shot until the 58th minute. The Tar Heels tacked on an insurance goal with 1:17 left on a devastating counterattack. After a shot by Dylan Remick '13 hit the crossbar, UNC's Urso got the ball and found Alex Dixon near midfield, who streaked all the way down the left side of the field. Just when he appeared to be getting too close to the back line, Dixon mastered a tricky angle to put a shot just inside the right post.

The Tar Heels held an 11-5 advantage in shots overall. Brooks Haggerty made two saves to keep the Bears off the board, while Grandstrand made five strong saves to keep the game from getting out of hand. Taylor Gorman '12 led Brown with two shots, and Jay Hayward '12 and Thomas McNamara '13 recorded Bruno's shots on goal.