The Herald will introduce the 120th editorial board and a new slate of leaders in the organization at the annual staff banquet tonight at Cav Restaurant downtown.

With the calendar year of Herald production coming to an end today, the new leadership is effective Jan. 1.

Leading next year's group will be George Miller '11, who will serve as editor-in-chief and president of The Herald. The Fairfax, Va. native, who has served as metro editor over the past year, boasts a breadth of experience as a reporter and as an editor both on and off campus, and hopes to be the steady hand on the tiller in 2010. We know he'll do a good job  we feel it in our bones.

Chaz Kelsh '11, a former news editor, will return from a semester abroad in Stockholm to serve as managing editor. Kelsh, from Philadelphia, is an expert on the inner workings of the University and its mysterious governing body, the Corporation. A sharp editor, he also brings his trademark wit and reporterly confidence. He will also serve as secretary of The Brown Daily Herald, Inc.

Sophia Li '11, The Herald's features editor, will join the editorial board as a deputy managing editor. Li, who hails from Cheshire, Conn., Sacramento, Calif. and many indeterminate locations in between, has successfully brightened these pages with off-the-beaten-path stories, personalities and organic farming operations for the last year, and boasts an unmatched knowledge of Brown history.

Also joining the editorial board as a deputy managing editor will be Emmy Liss '11, a former features editor who will return from a semester abroad in Barcelona. A Mill Neck, N.Y. native and the Herald's No. 1 cheerleader, Liss is a stickler for winning headlines, clever ledes and features that shine. She will probably try to recruit you in the spring.

Ellen Cushing '10 will join the board having seen multiple sides of The Herald. The Berkeley, Calif. homegirl has admirably performed double-duty as both a senior staff writer for the news side and the University editor for post- magazine. Expect her to continue her relentless pursuit of the toughest stories about Brown's darkest secrets. And no more post- naked pictures.

News Editor Seth Motel '11 also steps up to the editorial board as a senior editor. The Lincolnwood, Ill. native, a former copy desk chief, has also been the Herald's poll czar for more than a year. He likes numbers, crosstabs and hard news. He doesn't like mistakes.

Joanna Wohlmuth '11, the metro editor from Manhattan Beach, Calif., rounds out the 120th editorial board as a senior editor. Leaving no stone unturned in her quest to uncover the dirt on Providence and Rhode Island, Wohlmuth knows how to get to the bottom of a story and produce A-plus copy. You'll also see her lead the women's water polo team in "forced ejections" (it's a good thing).

The editorial board will be backed up by a strong slate of section editors, who are moving up the ranks.

Helping the edit board keep track of the day-to-day on-campus happenings as news editors will be California girls Sydney Ember '12 and Nicole Friedman '12. Ember, a senior staff writer from Los Angeles, leads the league in interviews conducted, pages proofed and gumption-to-body-size ratio. Friedman, from Piedmont, Calif., also a senior staff writer, knows more about faculty governance than the faculty does. They both insisted on editing this paragraph.

Leading next year's city and state coverage as metro editors will be the alliterative pair of Brigitta Greene '12 and Ben Schreckinger '12. Greene, from Westfield, N.J., has taken the lead in aggressively covering the University's finances and capital expansion as a senior staff writer. Her dry humor takes some getting used to. Schreckinger, from Belmont, Mass., has been both a senior staff writer and a post- columnist, covering UCS, local politics and fictional encounters with Emma Watson '13 alike. He plans to "bro lightly" this weekend.

Hannah Moser '12, a friendly wildland firefighter and erstwhile senior staff writer from Canyonville, Ore., takes over as features editor along with Cheshire, Mass. native Brian Mastroianni '11. Moser has co-led the Herald poll and interviewed angry PLMEs, among other things. Mastroianni, who likes RISD and painting, has filed countless bylines from College Hill and beyond and brings his knowledge and keen sense for good stories.

Taking over at the sports desk will be Columbus, Ohio's Dan Alexander '12, a senior staff writer who has travelled the Eastern seaboard covering the football team this fall. A tough interviewer who remembers how long a team's losing streak is, he's a coach's worst nightmare. Providence's own Andrew Braca '10, the outgoing editor, will stay on as an assistant with Oak Park, Ill.'s Han Cui '10.

Leading the arts and culture section are two more senior staff writers. Anne Speyer '12, a Manhattanite with an encyclopedia knowledge of Jay-Z lyrics, has covered dozens of metro and campus life stories in her tenure. Suzannah Weiss '12, from Syosset, N.Y., has been The Herald's eyes and ears at UCS meetings this semester, and has bravely covered the swine flu outbreak without contracting the disease.

Putting the paper together every day will be three design editor holdovers — Saint-Mammes, France native and house-music aficionado Julien Ouellet '12, Manchester, N.H., starving artist and ginger enthusiast Marlee Bruning '12 and White Plains, N.Y.'s Anna Migliaccio '12, tolerator of antics in-chief.

Leading the copy desk will be Kelly Mallahan '11, a Herald staff writer from Seattle, Wash., currently studying abroad in Morocco. She will be joined by a new assistant copy chief, Highland Park, Ill.'s Jordan Mainzer '12.

Alyssa Ratledge '11, from Mesa, Ariz., will stay on as opinions editor in 2010. She will be joined next year by columnist Michael Fitzpatrick '12, of San Antonio, Tex.

The Herald also welcomes 12 new contributors who reached the rank of staff writer: Ana Alvarez '13, Alex Bell '13, Kristina Fazzalaro '12, Max Godnick '13, Anish Gonchigar '12, Sarah Mancone '13, Claire Peracchio '13, Kevin Pratt '10, Emily Rosen '12, Jenna Steckel '13, Caitlin Trujillo '12 and Kate Monks '13.

Upstairs at 195 Angell, Marshall Katheder '12 of Orlando, Fla. will take over as editor-in-chief of post- magazine, the Herald's alternative weekly. Katheder, who was on the reality TV show "Endurance" as an adolescent, has served as post-'s film editor. He has great fashion sense, and his favorite movie is "Garden State."

The editorial page board will also see new leadership next semester, as Matt Aks '11, of Scarsdale, N.Y., takes over as the new editor of the editorial page.

The Herald is also fortunate to have two excellent new general managers handling the business side of the organization next year.

Claire Kiely '11, of San Jose, Calif., will serve as a general manager and vice president of the Brown Daily Herald, Inc. Katie Koh '11, of Coto de Caza, Calif., will serve as the other general manager as well as The Herald's treasurer. Currently The Herald's sales and finance directors, respectively, Kiely and Koh will bring their enthusiasm and 184-point color-coded strategy to bear on the Herald's balance sheet.

Kiely and Koh will be joined on the business staff by directors Matt Burrows '12, Christiana Stephenson '11, Margaret Watson '11 and Kelly Wess '11.