The Undergraduate Council of Students elected a new representative to the Undergraduate Finance Board and a new secretary at its general body meeting on Wednesday night.

Mae Cadao '13 ran unopposed to fill the secretary seat left open by Alyaa Alkhadhar '13, who resigned at the beginning of the semester.

"I'm responsible, I'm committed, and I take really good notes," Cadao said in her brief speech to the council.

UCS also elected Herald Sales Director Kelly Wess '11 as the newest representative to the finance board. Wess defeated two other candidates — Cecilia Strombeck '11 and Lisa Berlin '12 — for the position.

"I can bring a fresh new perspective to the UFB," Wess said in her speech. "I can add some new ideas."

UFB Chair Jose Vasconez '10 was in attendance at the meeting and delivered a brief statement to the candidates and general body before the contenders gave their speeches.
"We need someone who will vote based on reason and logic, not based upon their biases," he said. "We want to be fair in all of our decisions, so we need someone who really cares about making decisions."

UCS President Clay Wertheimer '10 then moved the focus of the meeting to the upcoming UCS Midyear Report, which the council will tableslip Thursday.

The report details UCS's accomplishments throughout the first semester, the council's overall goals and its goals for second semester.

Among the accomplishments listed from first semester are the $46,000 increase in student activities funding, the continental breakfast offerings at the Verney-Woolley Dining Hall and the launch of the Matched Advising Program for Sophomores.

The council's goals for the second semester include continuing efforts to launch a new student services Web directory, plans to better the equipment and hours of satellite gyms and the creation of UCS office hours at the Sharpe Refectory every week.

The Student Activities Committee, chaired by Brady Wyrtzen '11, approved two student groups for Category I recognition: the Capital Good Fund development team, a nonprofit micro-lending organization started by Brown students that gives loans to small businesses, and the Brown Aerial Arts Society which practices different types of aerial arts including static trapeze.