M. soccer begins search for new head coach

The Department of Athletics is accepting applications for the men's soccer head coach position after posting the job opening on Feb. 5. The search started after former Head Coach Mike Noonan officially resigned to take an offer from Clemson on Dec. 24. The department intends to select a new coach by mid-March, according to Bob Kenneally '90, associate athletic director for student services.

The department is expecting 60 to 70 applications by the end of this week, according to Kenneally.

A committee, headed by Kenneally, will evaluate the applicants and begin the interview process. The committee, which includes faculty, students and members of the Department of Athletics, will convene at the end of the week to start the process of narrowing the field of applicants.

"We will do a thorough search, a lot of background checks and a lot of reference calls," Kenneally said. "We'll look for the right fit for Brown University, and in this particular case, for the men's soccer program."

The majority of the applicant pool consists of college coaches, but there are some applicants from professional leagues as well, according to Kenneally. Interim Head Coach and former assistant Patrick Laughlin is also being considered for the position.

The pool will be narrowed down to three to 10 finalists, who will then be interviewed before the final selection.

According to Kenneally, the department is looking for a candidate with prior coaching experience — not necessarily as a head coach — who encourages academic excellence.

"Our goal is to win a national championship in men's soccer, so we want somebody that has a successful track record but also takes academics as a top priority," Kenneally said.
Defenseman Dylan Remick '13 said he is looking for a coach to bring energy to the program.

"I think the coach should be someone who loves the game and has a passion for it, an intense coach who will make us work," he said. "We are going to go forward no matter what."