The Undergraduate Council of Students voted to approve a number of changes to the elections section in its Code of Operations. The proposed alterations would allow the UCS president to nominate members of the elections board, create an ad hoc appeals board to hear complaints filed against the elections board and institute an instant runoff voting system for the Council's internal elections.

The changes were proposed by UCS Vice President Diane Mokoro '11.

In an instant runoff system, voters rank their preferences among candidates. If no one person receives a majority of the votes, votes for the least popular candidates are redistributed to those voters' second choices. This redistribution continues until one candidate has a majority of the votes.

"Instant runoff is a more complicated system, but it is considered more equitable and fair," UCS President Clay Wertheimer '10 told The Herald last week.

Though the new voting system will initially be used only for the council's internal elections, Wertheimer said he hopes it will eventually be used for campus-wide elections as well.

Lauren Kolodny '08, a Corporation trustee, was also in attendance at Wednesday's general body meeting and participated in a question-and-answer session with the Council. Kolodny is the first graduate to hold the Corporation position created last year for a young alum.

"I want, more than anything else, to come here and just have a conversation with you all," she told the Council.

Kolodny discussed a number of issues with the Council including the proposed athletics fee, dorm renovations and investment transparency.