Women's basketball: Bruno beats Penn, falls to Princeton

This weekend marked the second time that the women's basketball team faced Penn and Princeton this season. This time, Bruno had home court advantage, but the outcomes were the same, as the Bears picked up a big win against the Quakers and were mauled by the Tigers.

Brown 54, Penn 42
Penn came in to the game with nothing to lose. Winless in Ivy play and with only one win on the season, the Quakers were "playing for the upset," said Penn Head Coach Mike McLaughlin.

For the first half, it looked like the Quakers might get it. Bruno came out sluggish, shooting only 10 percent from three-point range compared to Penn's 80 percent. Bruno led by only four at the half.

Leading scorer Hannah Passafuime '12 made no shots the first half and tallied just three points the whole game.

"We just need to force more turnovers and contest the threes," said Brown Head Coach Jean Marie Burr at halftime.

The ladies stepped it up the second half with three players in the double digits for the game. Christina Johnson '10 and Sheila Dixon '13 were electric on the court with their strong ability to drive the ball to the hoop. Johnson wore her heart on her sleeve all evening, at one point showing frustration in her face when a fouled lay-up wouldn't fall with the Bears up by 12.

Brown earned 23 points off of turnovers while Penn earned just 11. The Bears held Penn to just 14 percent from behind the arc in the second half en route to a 12-point victory over the Quakers.

Princeton 64, Brown 38

There was no good news for the Bears Saturday, when they played host to the Tigers of Princeton.

The only player to reach double digits was Johnson with 10 points. Bruno shot just 6 percent from three-point range and 24 percent from the field, well below its season averages of 24 and 33 percent, respectively.

Princeton improved to 21-2 overall and 9-0 in Ivy League play.

Brown hosts their final home games of the season this weekend against Harvard on Friday and Dartmouth on Saturday. Both games tip off at 7 p.m.