Out of doors, w. track team dreams of redemption

Despite a disappointing finish to the indoor season, the men's and women's track and field teams are entering the outdoor season with enthusiasm and high expectations. With key members returning from injury and the return of all three national and nine regional qualifiers from last year, it is easy to see cause for such optimism.

"We are very excited for the outdoor season, and we are looking forward to training hard for the next few months," said Interim Head Coach Michelle Eisenreich.

"We want to improve and build on the success of last year," said Assistant Coach Jill Miller.

"We definitely want to be top three in the Ivies."

In order for the Bears to reach their goals, they will be relying heavily on upperclassmen.

The throwers — the unquestioned strength of the team — return three national qualifiers.
Of the men, All-American Craig Kinsley '11 will seek to improve on his third-place finish in last year's NCAA Nationals in the javelin, while fellow All-American Bryan Powlen '10 will also aspire to return to Nationals, competing in the shot put and discus.

The women throwers boast an equally impressive array of athletes, including national qualifier Brynn Smith '11 in the hammer. Coaches also expect Danielle Grunloh '10 to make a run at Nationals this season in the shot put and discus.

Among the men's distance runners, captain Duriel Hardy '10 — the recent winner of the Men's Heptagonal Championship at 5000 meters — will seek to lead a talented group of runners including Christian Escareno '11, an NCAA Cross Country individual qualifier this fall.

The women distance runners will be lead by co-captains Michaeline Nelson '11 and Ariel Wright '10. Nelson qualified for regionals last year, and Wright has been a consistent threat to score in the 3k.

For jumps, the men will be counting heavily on Andrew Chapin '10 and Reggie Cole '10 in the triple jump.

On the women's side for jumps, Anja Hergrueter '10 will be looking to qualify again for regionals.

In sprints, the men will rely once again on Mike Mazerik '10 and Marc Howland '11.

The women, on the other hand, will look to Thelma Breezeatl '10 in the shorter sprints. Lucy Higgins '11 and Jasmine Chukwueke '11 should lead the Bears in the 400 meter. Susan Scavone '12 is also expected to be a factor in hurdles.