Seconds from overtime, w. lax falls, 8-7

With the clock ticking down in the last minute, the women's lacrosse team was tied at seven. Brown got the ball, approached the goal and a foul was called, giving the Bears a penalty shot. But Yale's goalie saved it and sent it up to her teammates, who had one final shot on goal with nine seconds remaining.

It went in.

Just seconds from overtime play, the women's lacrosse team conceded a goal and fell to Yale, 8-7.

With their hopes set on qualifying for the first-ever Ivy Women's Lacrosse Tournament, another loss puts the Bears one step further away from their Ivy ambitions.

Brown will have to secure results against at least one of several Ivy League teams ranked higher nationally than Brown, as only four of eight qualify.

"We have some adjustments to make," said midfielder Alexa Caldwell '11. "We have to own how good we are and bring it to the games."

As they had the previous two games, the Bears went ahead quickly, with leading-scorer Paris Waterman '11 scoring twice and tri-captain Bethany Buzzell '10 putting one away before Yale could make any serious attempts on goal.

But a three-goal run put Yale back in the game, with Devon Rhodes paving the way to the Bulldogs' comeback.

Neck-and-neck in the second half, a late goal by Yale's Kaitlyn Flatley handed Brown its second Ivy League defeat of the season.

The Bears continued to look to offensive standout Waterman, who had five of her team's seven goals, and Caldwell forced turnovers and ground balls.

"Who goes to the tournament is very open," Caldwell said. "This game was a huge disappointment for us, but if we can just finish in the next five Ivy League games, we know we can."

They have ten days to prepare for a road game against Harvard.