Crew team gets two wins over Yale

The men's crew team started off the season with a second-place finish at the San Diego Crew Classic and continued to show its impressive skills by coming out victorious in two events against Yale Saturday.

Yale took gold in the first three events of the morning — the third varsity eight, the varsity four and the first freshman eight, winning the races by a combined six seconds. But Brown came back to win the first and second varsity eight races.

Brown's varsity four finished just 1.7 seconds after Yale, despite being behind as much as a full length by the 1,000-meter mark. The Bulldogs continued their winning streak after taking first in the third varsity eight, topping Brown by 2.7 seconds.

Despite defeating Yale by more than nine seconds in the freshman eight last year, Brown was not able to hold off the Bulldogs in the event this year as they sprinted toward the finish line and finished 1.3 seconds ahead of Bruno.

Brown was not discouraged by the losses and came back to win the last two events. In the first varsity eight, Brown's top boat finished the line just four seats ahead of the Bulldogs with a time of 5:38.0.

The second varsity boat also rowed a fast race and defeated its event by open water as the Yale boat trailed by more than six seconds.

The Bears will row against Ivy rival Harvard April 10 at home.