Alum's loopy steel sculpture 'Untitled' brings chatter to Quiet Green

Those strolling across the Quiet Green may notice an addition to campus scenery. "Untitled," created in 2003 by Arthur Carter '53 and displayed on the north end of the Green, will be a fixture on University grounds for the next three years.

According to a University press release, Carter enjoyed successful careers in investment banking, business and newspaper and magazine publishing before beginning to create art.

Carter and President Ruth Simmons decided to feature "Untitled" on campus, said Jo-Ann Conklin, director of the David Winton Bell Gallery.

Simmons asked the University Public Arts Committee to organize the arrival of Carter's work. It was installed Aug. 20 and is on loan from the Utilities and Industries Management Corporation in New York City.

An abstract sculpture of stainless steel bent into loops and rings, the piece is characteristic of Carter, whose work almost always involves metals fashioned into elliptical shapes. According to Conklin, Carter uses elliptical designs to highlight his works' "movement through space."

Conklin added that Carter gains inspiration from modernist artists, such as Andrew Calder, David Smith and Piet Mondrian.

Still, she said, onlookers should not get caught up in overanalyzing the artwork. Carter's art is "abstract, about making things, about the materials and kinds of feeling you get from the materials."

"Untitled" fits its new home, reflecting light in a dark portion of the Green near Manning Chapel, said Conklin. "It's a good piece for that place. It sort of brightens it up," she said.

The Quiet Green isn't the only place Brown community members and visitors will enjoy new artwork this year. Since the Public Arts Committee receives 1 percent of funds devoted to any major University construction or renovation, there are numerous other projects in the works.

For example, the committee has also arranged for a new sound art installation to be featured starting next week in the newly opened Stephen Robert '62 Campus Center, Conklin said.

"Advice from a Former Student" by American artist Nina Katchadourian '89 — an edited compilation of pieces of advice from various Brown alums, ranging from recent graduates to a 95-year-old man — will be in the new Information Center, where visitors will begin their campus tours.  

When taking note of new campus art features, it may be best to leave analysis behind and "just enjoy the way it makes you feel," Conklin said.