W. soccer kicks its way to two home draws

Though it did not win, the women's soccer team remains unbeaten on its home field. The Bears took both of their opponents, the University of New Hampshire (4-5-3) and Columbia (6-2-2, 1-0-1 Ivy League), into double overtime this week, with both games ending in draws.

New Hampshire 2, Brown 2

Brown fought UNH for 110 minutes on Wednesday afternoon, ending in a 2-2 tie. Each team dominated a half — Bruno controlling the first half with a 12-4 shot advantage and the Wildcats taking the second 45 minutes with 11 shots to the Bears' four.

Midfielder Mika Siegelman '14 kicked things off for the Bears with a goal nine minutes into the half. The goal was set up by midfielder Gina Walker '11, who drew the defense away with a shot from the left corner that was blocked by UNH goalkeeper Erica Correa. Siegelman, following the play into the box, was there to tap in the deflected ball.

Siegelman was modest about her role.

"It was pretty much all Gina," she said. "I was just there."

The Bears continued to keep the game in their favor and walked away from the first half with a 1-0 lead.

Then it was the Wildcats' turn. After taking two shots on goal in the first eight minutes, UNH connected on its third attempt. Goalkeeper MC Barrett '14 jumped for the save, but the ball was out of reach and UNH tied the score, 1-1.

Still filled with the momentum of the first half, forward Eliza Marshall '13 took things into her own hands. She trapped the ball and scored on a high kick from 25 yards away only a minute after the Wildcats had evened the score.

But the Bears could not hold off their opponents and the Wildcats battled to even the game once again. UNH fired off three shots after Marshall's goal before finally making it in on a one-on-one play between Barrett and UNH's Chelsea Kuss.

After two overtime periods, the game remained at 2-2. The Wildcats had a slight shot advantage during the overtimes, 4-3, but a cross by forward Marybeth Lesbirel '12 that led to a missed shot by forward-midfielder Louisa Pitney '14 was the closest that either team came to scoring during the extra time.

Barrett said it was a tough result, especially considering Brown's first-half advantage.

"We definitely thought that we outplayed them at times," she said.

Columbia 0, Brown 0

The Bears came into their second Ivy League game against Columbia with ferocity. In an aggressive first half of play, Bruno held a slight shot advantage, 9-8, and increased its chances in the second half, taking 12 shots to Columbia's five.

Forward-midfielder Kiersten Berg '14 had the audience on its feet when she made a dangerous attempt in the 66th minute of play. A tumble landed Berg on the ground and took Lions goalkeeper Lillian Klein from her position in the box. Looking to take advantage, Berg struggled to take a shot from a sitting position, but a Lions defender cleared it just in time.

The teams took three shots apiece in the overtime periods, but the score remained locked at 0-0. Goalkeeper Amber Bledsoe '14 had four saves and Barrett blocked three, keeping the Lions off the board.

The teams combined for 24 fouls and two yellow cards. For the Bears, an aggressive game was no surprise. "We were expecting a tough battle," Siegelman said. "It was pretty physical right off the bat."

The Bears continue on their home-field streak this Tuesday when they face Holy Cross at 5 p.m.

"Its nice to go out to Stevenson (Field)," Barrett said. "We have our fans, we get in our own routines, we like playing at home."