The contract between the University and the libraries union was extended for the third time Friday evening when negotiators once again failed to reach an agreement.

This extension will run out Monday, Nov. 8. The contract was originally set to expire Sept. 30.

Karen McAninch '74, the union's business agent, did not want to get into specifics of why negotiations failed to conclude Friday before union members meet today at 11 a.m. to review and formally accept or reject the University's offer.

But McAninch said the union's bargaining committee is not recommending acceptance.

"We were really hopeful that we could come to an agreement, but it just didn't happen," she said.

If the members reject the offer, McAninch said, the union and Brown will probably try to schedule more negotiations for later in the day.

At the union members' meeting Friday morning, workers voted to authorize the bargaining committee to call a strike, though McAninch said she has no plans yet to act on that authorization.

"The members wanted the University to understand how concerned they were," McAninch said.

Vice President for Public Affairs and University Relations Marisa Quinn wrote in an e-mail to The Herald that Brown's negotiators "hope for a speedy resolution to the remaining issues."