Bruno Sets Sights On Ivy League Title

Despite a seventh-place finish in the Ivy League last season, the women's lacrosse team believes it has the potential to challenge for the conference title in 2011.

"We want to make Brown history," said tri-captain Paris Waterman '11. "A big goal of ours is to get to the Ivy League tournament and win a championship, and I think we have all the pieces to do that this year."

But to make that goal a reality, Head Coach Keely McDonald '00 said the team must commit to hard work.

"We've talked a lot about this group of women competing to be their best in practice and games and really bringing everything they have to every opportunity they have," McDonald said.

Even though the Bears have lofty goals for the year as a whole, they are making a conscious effort to take the season game-by-game.

"I haven't allowed myself to look past the second game," said tri-captain Alexa Caldwell '11. "It's our first home game against Boston University, and it's going to be huge."

The team lost four players to graduation, but the upperclassmen are eager to fill their roles, McDonald said.

"The seniors from last year were a group that helped lead a very successful season for us, so their leadership will be missed," she added. "I think this year's senior class, all six, are excited to follow up where the senior class of last year left off, and they are just as motivated and determined to make this season a really great one for Brown lacrosse."

Eight first-years will join the squad, and they will be looking to make an impact in these initial games.

"The entire freshman class has done well in the fall and preseason, and I think several of them will look to contribute right away in our first game," McDonald said.

"Finally, we have all the pieces we need," Waterman said. "Last year, we had three one-goal losses and were playing really well towards the end of the season. … It doesn't matter who the opponent is. We're going to play the way we know how to play."

The Bears will start their season at Sacred Heart Feb. 26 and will play their first home game three days later against BU.