University administrators met with Colosseum nightclub owner Anthony Santurri last Thursday to address questions of student safety in response to the Feb. 23 incident involving two students at the club.

Michael Quinn '13 and Jonathan Smallwood '12 were thrown by their necks out of the nightclub by Colosseum bouncers after being told to stop dancing on the stage, The Herald reported Feb. 24. Since then, both Santurri and Brown administrators said they hoped to discuss the altercation.

"I actually think there was a desire from both sides to meet," said Margaret Klawunn, vice president for campus life and student services.

Administrators from the Department of Public Safety, the Office of Public Affairs and University Relations and the LGBTQ Resource Center met Santurri at the club, where they discussed student comfort and safety at the club. The invitation was extended to the center in response to allegations by the students that the bouncers' actions were spurred by homophobia.

"Regardless of the fact that the remarks made by the bouncers weren't directly homophobic, as a gay male, I felt that being told that my actions are too feminine was homophobic," Jonathan Smallwood '12 wrote in an e-mail to The Herald.

"(Santurri) was actually very understanding of our concerns," Klawunn said. "He was very reassuring in terms of his interests for it to be a safe and inclusive environment."

Klawunn said they also discussed the University's concerns about students going out on weeknights. "We reviewed some of the things that had been problems with the Wednesday nights at (the Fish Company) and some of the ways that we were concerned about a continuation of anything that might raise some of the similar problems," she said.

Santurri said he understood the University's concerns but hopes the meeting will allow students to understand they are accepted at Colosseum.

"I want to go back to the way it used to be before this incident happened," Santurri said. "The relationship with Brown University is important to me."

Santurri said he is willing to apologize to Quinn and Smallwood in person if they choose to accept his apology.

LGBTQ Resource Center Coordinator Kelly Garrett wrote in an e-mail to The Herald that she felt Santurri wants all students to have a positive experience at his club but thinks it is up to students to decide how to proceed.

"Students will decide for themselves if they enjoy the club and want to continue to attend," Garrett wrote.