Johnson '14: Don't forget about science in 2012

With the presidential elections just over a year away, and the Republican primary in full swing, we are now beginning to unravel the varied positions of the GOP candidates on science and its relationship with religion.

For example, Texas Gov. Rick Perry recently called evolution, "a theory that's out there. … It's got some gaps in it." Yes, Governor Perry, evolution is a theory that's out there. So is gravity. So is the heliocentric view of the solar system.

Similarly, Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., said she supports the theory of intelligent design and "putting all science on the table and letting students decide."  Unfortunately for Bachmann, her preferred theory on the issue is not science, and therefore should not be put on the table.

The fact that two serious presidential candidates, both of whom have received more than 10 percent in primary polls, doubt such an essential tenet of scientific thought should be frightening to voters.

Even as talk of unemployment dominates the news, America is quietly losing the global competition in science education. A 2009 study by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development ranked the United States 17th in science and 25th in math out of  the 34 countries studied. This is problematic for our economy, since the jobs of the future, and indeed of today, are in science and technology.

There is no doubt that for our workers to compete globally, we must move up the ranks in these categories. As college students, and as voters, we must hold politicians accountable for their views on science. The United States cannot hope to compete internationally if our president does not believe in such a fundamental aspect of modern science.

For Brown students, who have had a basic science education, belief in the accepted theories may seem like the centrist position that represents most of America. But a Fox News poll from Sept. 7 shows that 50 percent of Americans believe that human life was created exactly as stated in the Bible, while only 15 percent support Darwin's theory of evolution.

Given this climate of skepticism for one of science's most vital theories, President Obama deserves commendation for his continued solidarity with the scientific community. But as his poll numbers drop, and his chances for reelection shrink, it is important to examine the Republican alternatives and hold them accountable for their views on science.

Of the serious GOP primary contenders, only former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and former Utah governor Jon Huntsman Jr. have voiced support for Darwinian evolutionary theory. In addition to Bachmann and Perry, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Tex., businessman Herman Cain and former Sen. Rick Santorum have all taken stands against evolution in the past.

As students at a center of research and innovation, we must promote dialogue  both on campus and nationwide to make support for evolution not a marginal position but rather a mainstream American view.

Evolution shouldn't be a political issue. If America is to stay afloat in the global economy, respecting science must be a national value. Liberals at Brown must continue to challenge the social conservative view that creationism belongs in the science classroom alongside evolution. Conservatives at Brown must make it clear that just because they support lower taxes and economic freedom does not mean that they want the GOP to take a stand against science.

If the Republican party proceeds to nominate one of its many anti-science candidates, the American people might well forget about science in favor of a different economic vision from that of Obama. Though it is fair to question the job that Obama has done since taking office, and it is fair to consider changing administrations, we must not abandon the future of American competitiveness worldwide.

Perry would love to have creationism taught as an equal and competing scientific theory in schools nationwide. This would have the dangerous ripple effect of hampering teachers' efforts to instruct students on actual, proven science.

In 2012, the Brown community and voters in general have an obligation to future generations to prevent other countries from continually outperforming us in science. We must not allow short-term concerns about the economy and the deficit to blind us from the critical long-term task of achieving excellence in science education. In 2012, we must not forget about science.

Garret Johnson '14 is a neuroscience concentrator from Boxford, Mass. who believes in evolution and gravity.