Three undergrads to serve on presidential search committee

Two undergraduates and a member of the Undergraduate Council of Students Executive Board will be selected by Oct. 20 to the Campus Advisory Committee to advise the Corporation's search process for the University's 19th president, said Samuel Gilman '15, a spokesman for UCS.

UCS President Ralanda Nelson '12 released the student application to the Brown community in an email Monday morning. An email sent earlier that morning by Chancellor Thomas Tisch '76 outlined the Corporation's initial plans for the search. Simmons announced her decision to step down at the end of the academic year Sept. 15.  

In his email, Tisch announced the formation of two separate committees — the Presidential Search Committee of the Corporation, which he will chair, and the Campus Advisory Committee. The campus committee will be composed of faculty and students from the College and the Graduate School, as well as representatives from Alpert Medical School.  

A member of the UCS Executive Board will also be appointed to the campus committee, though Gilman did not comment on the selection process within UCS.

The deadline for the undergraduate application is Oct. 6 at 11:59 p.m. Gilman said he could not anticipate how many applications UCS would receive for the positions.  

"We will get this process done fairly and swiftly by Oct. 20 so that the committee can move forward with its work," Gilman said.  

The search for a new University president "will emulate in many respects that which led to Ruth's appointment" 11 years ago, Tisch wrote. The Corporation is aiming to name members of both committees by mid-October.  

In 2000, the campus committee that ultimately selected Simmons consisted of 13 members, including three undergraduate students. The Corporation committee consisted of 17 members.