Uberoi '15 serves up a perfect weekend

Nikita Uberoi '15 had a perfect weekend at the 2011 United States Tennis Association Women's Collegiate Invitational, going 4-0 in both singles and doubles in her third-ever college tennis competition. She won the singles title and — along with teammate Carissa Aboubakare '12 — claimed the doubles title as well. For her outstanding rookie performance this past weekend, The Herald has named her Athlete of the Week.  

The Herald: How have you been feeling going into your first matches of collegiate tennis?

Uberoi: I was really nervous at first playing my first match at Brown, but I have been really excited. Throughout my first two tournaments, I've really felt like I progressed a lot in the short time that we've been practicing.

What was the best moment of the weekend?

Probably the last day — it was a long weekend and I was the last match on. I was playing and then we were heading out back to Brown. So my best moment was my last singles match, because I actually won the first set 6-1 and then was up 3-love and then came down 5-3 and came back to win that 7-6. I was happy that I closed it out then and there. For our doubles final we got a default, so that wasn't so glorious, but it was nice winning doubles with Carissa.

How did you decide on Brown?

Obviously I fell in love when I came to visit. But the team, the coach, the atmosphere — of course, happiest campus. Also, I have a twin sister who also plays tennis and we both wanted to go to school together, and we were both recruited for Brown tennis. ... I felt really comfortable in the atmosphere here and the curriculum here. It has a little more relaxed feeling than other college campuses. I love it so far.

Are you and your twin sister ever competitive with each other?

Yes, of course. In everything, not just tennis, because we are twins. On the court, all the time. We played doubles together here the first weekend.

How did you get into tennis?

I am actually one of five girls. ... I have three older sisters — two of them were professional tennis players. So it runs in our family. I grew up with it. I started playing when I was three or four years old and have been full-time since then.

What's your favorite thing about Brown so far?

I can't choose. Just being here, living each day, it's just amazing. When I look back, I think, "Wow, I accomplished a lot today." And I just love our team and the practice. We all get along so well. You couldn't ask for better teammates and better coaches. At the end of the day, I feel like I am getting a great education and having fun while I'm at it.

Do you know what you want to study here?

I am really interested in environmental studies or science. I am taking such a variety of classes, I can never be really sure.

What are you most excited for this year?

I am just excited to get more matches in, because it has been really fun so far playing as a team. I am looking forward to next spring, when everything comes down to it — the Ivy season. I was really looking forward to this past weekend's tournament, and I was really happy with the results.