The Corporation will review President Ruth Simmons' recently released recommendations on the Reserve Officers' Training Corps and Department of Athletics at its meeting this weekend.

Simmons released her recommendations on both contentious issues this week. "She clearly wanted to release both of these reports in response to the community in advance, given all the keen interest," said Russell Carey '91 MA'06, senior vice president for Corporation affairs and governance.  

Members of the Corporation, the University's highest governing body, will also discuss the early steps of the presidential transition, Carey said. The members of the presidential selection and advisory committees were announced Tuesday.

The Corporation will host a dedication of the new Medical Education Building Friday evening, and Chancellor Thomas Tisch '76 will formally accept the building on behalf of the Corporation. Herbert Kaplan, head of the Warren Alpert Foundation, will receive an honorary degree, and Gov. Lincoln Chafee '75 P'14 and Mayor Angel Taveras will speak at the event, said Marisa Quinn, vice president for public affairs and University relations.  

Corporation committees will convene for their regular meetings. Provost Mark Schlissel P'15 and Dean of Faculty Kevin McLaughlin P'12 will present a report on faculty tenure to the Academic Affairs Committee, Carey said.  

The October meeting, the first of the academic year, frequently sees the Corporation formally approving large gifts. Details of these contributions will be announced to the community Saturday, following the Corporation's business meeting that morning.