Three representatives from the University's chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union spoke about the possibility of implementing a student public defenders program at the general body meeting of the Undergraduate Council of Students Wednesday night.

The program, modelled after a similar service offered by the University of California at Berkeley, would train students in University laws and regulations so they can represent their classmates during grade appeals, disciplinary hearings and other interactions with the administration. 

Skylar Albertson '13, one of the ACLU presenters, said the program would give participants public policy experience that would be helpful for students interested in applying to law school. 

The Admissions and Student Services Committee announced that new CVC machines are now running. The new machines allow students to add money to their Bear Bucks account in real time, but students still must use the old machines to add money to their card for vending and laundry. 

The committee also discussed broken CVC machines and exercise equipment around campus. Many council members affirmed that the broken machines did not supply students with a number to call to report the damaged equipment, an oversight President Ralanda Nelson '12 said they should work toward fixing. 

Campus Life Chair Michael Schneider '13 said he is meeting with Richard Bova, senior associate dean of residential and dining services, to discuss adding water fountains to the satellite gyms. The Campus Life committee is also looking into making the meal plan system more attractive to students. Under the current system, students on the cheaper meal plans pay more per meal than students on the more expensive meal plan, Schneider said. 

The council began sending out a Meiklejohn Tip of the Week in its weekly advising email to assist students with topics such as taking five classes and shopping period. Treasurer Afia Kwakwa '14 also said UCS will be hosting a leadership conference for Rhode Island high school students April 28. Students from five high schools will participate in the conference.