Clarification Appended.

The media services fee for all University-approved student groups will be eliminated, the Undergraduate Council of Students announced in a campus-wide email sent yesterday afternoon by Ralanda Nelson '12, president of the council. David Rattner '13, vice president of UCS, praised the decision during the council's general body meeting Wednesday. 

The council has been working toward eliminating this fee for the past three years, Nelson told The Herald. Previously, UCS would sign a contract with Media Technology Services each year, determining a fixed cost UFB would pay to Media Services to allow Category III groups to use the equipment free of cost, she said. Under this new policy, Category S, I, II and III will receive free services, according to the email. 

UFB will now be able to allocate the funds used to cover the cost of media equipment to student groups, Nelson added.

"It will greatly advantage student groups that never had access to those media services before for their weekly meetings," she said.

Michael Pickett, vice president of computing and information services, and Tim Wells, director of network technology, agreed to the fee elimination in a meeting with council members Wednesday morning, Nelson said. Though Pickett and Wells only officially agreed to extend this service until the end of the school year, Rattner said he was optimistic the program would continue to next school year due to the administration's enthusiasm for the change. 

Margaret Klawunn, vice president for campus life and student services, and Richard Bova, senior associate dean of residential and dining services, also attended the meeting to discuss upcoming residential hall renovations, which will include changes to Keeney Quadrangle, Andrews Hall and Miller and Metcalf Halls.

The council voted to approve a "Town-Gown" statement supporting President Ruth Simmons' proposed compromise with Providence to increase the University's contribution to the city. Nick Tsapakos '13 opposed the statement, arguing the current compromise may lay the groundwork for future University to Providence donation increases. The statement passed with only one dissenting vote.

Nelson also appointed Maahika Srinivasan '15 over Gregory Chatzinoff '15 to be this year's election board chair.

The council will be hosting the "State of Brown" address with President Ruth Simmons today in Salomon 101. The event will begin with a discussion between Nelson and Simmons followed by a general question-and-answer session with the audience, Nelson said. 

An earlier version of this article stated that the Undergraduate Finance Board signs a contract with Media Technology Services each year. In fact, the Undergraduate Council of Students signs this contract to determine the fixed cost UFB will pay to Media Services.