Sports

Paterno ’50 will stay in U.’s Hall of Fame

Staff Writer
Monday, September 17, 2012

Joe Paterno ’50 will remain in the Brown Athletic Hall of Fame, according to a statement from the Hall’s Board of Directors released Sept. 13. The decision came about two months after the University announced Paterno’s place in the Hall was under review by the board following the release of a report examining Pennsylvania State University’s response to allegations of child abuse against former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.

In a statement to the press, independent investigator Louis Freeh said Paterno and three high-ranking Penn State administrators “never demonstrated, through actions or words, any concern for the safety and well-being of Sandusky’s victims until after Sandusky’s arrest.”

The board wrote in its statement that in its choice “not to remove Paterno from the list of Brown’s Hall of Fame athletes, the Board of Directors did not intend to diminish the tragic events that occurred at Penn State toward the end of Coach Paterno’s career. It sought, rather, to acknowledge the recognition of the achievements for which it elected Paterno to the Hall of Fame nearly 35 years ago.” 

Paterno was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1978. Earlier this year, the athletics department removed his name from the first-year male athlete award. The Howard D. Williams ’17/Joseph V. Paterno ’50 Football Coaching Chair was also renamed in the past year, though for reasons unrelated to the Penn State sexual abuse scandal. 

• Anonymous

Let’s face it. The Brown Athletic Hall Board of Directors are just a bunch of self-loving spineless dweebs. President Paxson, welcome to Brown.

• Louis Schepp

Kinda spineless to post your comment anonymously. The Freeh report, which resulted from an investigation conducted after coach Paterno died and therefore lacks any response from him about specific charges of improper conduct and does not appear, from my reading to be as unbiased as we would have liked, does not justify removal of coach Paterno from the Hall of Fame.

• Anonymous

Louis Schepp, I see that Joe Paterno is your idol. I suppose Sandusky and you have the same taste.

• Louis

No, but what is clear is that you are a coward.

LS

• Anonymous

I think that one can reasonably ask the question of how biased the Freeh report was. After all, it’s nearly impossible to write about such a charged topic without some bias creeping into the choice of language used. But, at the same time, even if one wants to disagree with the conclusion, it’s very difficult to argue with the facts presented in the report. Some really really bad stuff went down and Paterno’s fingerprints are all over the smoking gun. Paterno would be entitled to voice his rebuttal if he were subject to criminal penalties but, in terms of judging the relatively straightforward matter of whether to keep him in the Brown Hall of Fame, we’ve got all the information that we need. Don’t use the matter of judicial due process to obscure the fundamental question of whether this is a guy we want to honor.

• Anonymous

I know. But Schlepper is a lawyer. So he can’t help himself. And, he’s probably hired by the Brown Athletic Hall Directors.

• Louis

Another cowardly post. And no, I wasn’t hired by the BAHD.
      LS