Bruno sweeps with third straight victory against Sacred Heart

The women's soccer team beat Sacred Heart University 1-0 at home Sunday with a winner in the first half by Chloe Cross '15, improving its record to 5-1.
Playing at home after three consecutive games on the road, the Bears' victory extended their winning streak to three.
Cross said the team wanted to "make sure the first half was as good as our second half was at Northeastern," when the Bears scored a late winner to grab an away victory.
SHU (3-5), who according to Head Coach Phil Pincince plays "a physical game" and has always been "a strong opponent" dealt the Bears their first loss of the season last year, but Bruno turned the tables in this matchup.
In the first half, the Bears had multiple opportunities to score, including two shots that hit the crossbar. The Pioneers were pinned to a defensive stance, producing only two shots on target. SHU goalkeeper Sydney Judkins was forced to work hard, facing four shots and relying on teammate Alyssa Brandofino to save a shot on the line.
The offensive pressure finally resulted in a Bruno goal in the 34th minute. Mika Siegelman '14 sent a through ball to Cross, who slotted it into the bottom corner of the net.
The Bears came out for the final 45 minutes looking to Pincince's advice to "play like it's a 0-0 game in the second half," while the Pioneers came back looking for the equalizer with more attacking energy. But their increased offensive presence did not translate into any clear chances through most of the second half.
The Bears also failed to make good use of their scoring opportunities, and this almost cost the team the victory after SHU midfielder Jen Melvey received a pass inside the box, spun quickly and shot, missing narrowly with less than two minutes left on the clock.
The team's current winning streak is important as it prepares for the start of Ivy League games, Pincince said. The conference schedule begins with next Sunday's matchup against Dartmouth.
Cross, whose goal against SHU was her fourth of the season, said the win "is one of those games that can prepare us physically and mentally."
"It was really good going forward," she added.
Pincince said he was pleased with the win but preached a bit more caution about the result.
"It's just a tune-up," he said. "Come next Sunday, it's a whole different ballgame."