Bruno heads West and brings home gold

The men's soccer team took home the Husky Classic title with two wins at the University of Washington this weekend, proving its long cross-country trip worthwhile. On Friday, the Bears defeated Washington (5-3-1) in dramatic fashion in overtime for a 4-3 victory, and Sunday they shut out Portland (2-4-1) with three goals to secure their triumph. The victories improved the Bears' season record to 7-1-0.

"The opportunity to play against two quality teams from the West Coast is one that we were excited to take on," said Head Coach Patrick Laughlin. "Travelling across the country and picking up two wins is very difficult. It was also a good trip in that we were able to connect with some of our West Coast alumni and enjoy some time with them." 

In the opening game of the Husky Classic on Friday evening, it looked like the Bears were in for a tough fight. 

"We were up against a very talented and experienced UW that was looking for a big home win," Laughlin said.

The Huskies netted the first goal less than eight minutes into the game and extended their lead to 2-0 in the 26th minute.

But after the break, Bruno put on a lot of pressure up front and began to successfully capitalize on their opportunities. Forward Voltaire Escalona '14 scored his first collegiate goal just eight minutes into the second period, assisted by midfielder Thomas McNamara '12.5. Shortly after, Kevin Gavey '13 headed the ball into the net off a cross by Benjamin Maurey '15 to even the score 2-2.

The Huskies took back the lead in the 78th minute, but the Bears responded quickly when Daniel Taylor '15 scored his first college career goal off a deflected shot in front of the goal to equalize the score. The game was pushed into overtime where Maurey tallied the game-winner in the 93rd minute off another assist by McNamara to end the game, 4-3, and shock the Huskies on their home turf.

Laughlin said the team showed its true colors in the second half and overtime. 

"The team played some of our best soccer of the season on Friday night. In the second half, we were the dominant team and showed very well," Laughlin said. "For us to score four goals from the run of play and come back twice to tie before winning it in overtime was outstanding. All of the players involved played at a high level of focus and concentration."

"It was a hard-fought game and we didn't give up. Not only did we come back from a deficit, but we came back twice when they went up 3-2," Maurey said. "We have relied on our defense a lot, but this game our offense is what won it for us."

After an emotional come-from-behind win, Bruno carried its good play into Sunday's game, in which the University of Portland was no match for Bruno at either end of the field. 

"This game was a great performance by everyone on the team," said co-captain Eric Robertson '13. "Every player got playing time, and we were able to get a comfortable win on a Sunday, which is traditionally a tough time to play during these tournaments. Getting seven goals out of two games was big for our team."

Robertson opened the game's scoring when he sent a rocket into the net from the 18-yard box in the 13th minute. Within two minutes of the start of the second half, McNamara, who was named Offensive MVP of the tournament, scored his second goal of the season after a flawless assist by Tariq Abu-Akeel '16. Bobby Belair '13 then put the game well out of the Pilots' reach, scoring an insurance goal in the 65th minute to give the Bears a commanding 3-0 lead.  

"We usually come out a bit slow for Sunday matches for some reason, but this weekend that wasn't the case," Maurey said. 

"Winning and playing so well also makes the long red-eye flight not as bad," he added.

Coming off its Husky Classic conquest, Bruno will kick off its Ivy League campaign with three conference bouts in the next four games.  

"It was our last two games before starting Ivy League play and two more opportunities to improve as a squad," Belair said. "It is great for our confidence to have so many guys step up and perform at such a high level this weekend."

The Bears will host Columbia in their first Ivy matchup of the season Sept. 29 at 7 p.m.