Election roundup: countdown to Election Day

Election day is Tuesday, Nov. 6. Brown students who are not registered still have the option to vote in Rhode Island on Election Day, but they will only be able to vote in the presidential race, as state races are closed to those who have not yet registered.

President

The presidential election may be coming to an end, but it is not concluding quietly. Both President Obama and Republican Mitt Romney have each raised at least $1 billion in conjunction with their respective Super PACs, making the 2012 presidential election the most expensive in history. The candidates are allocating these funds toward purchasing TV ads and Election Day preparations in key swing states like Ohio, Colorado, Nevada, Florida, Iowa, New Hampshire and Virginia, where the race is still close. Polls in most other states have already projected which candidate will win - Rhode Island, for example, will almost certainly give its four electoral votes to Obama.

U.S. Senate - R.I.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-RI, will face Republican opponent Barry Hinckley in Tuesday's election. The final WPRI-12 poll, released Tuesday night, showed Whitehouse with a 20-point lead. The two candidates will meet today at 3 p.m. for their final debate at Rhode Island College. The debate will not be televised until Friday at 7:30 p.m. on NBC 10.

U.S. House of Representatives - R.I.

In Rhode Island's contentious race to represent the first congressional district, Rep. David Cicilline '83, D-RI, saw his lead over his Republican challenger Brendan Doherty shrink to almost zero, according to the Tuesday WPRI poll. The poll has 43 percent of likely voters in Rhode Island's first district supporting Cicilline and 42 percent planning to cast their ballot for Doherty. 

The sampling error of plus or minus 5.6 percent makes the race a statistical dead heat. Compared to previous polls, Doherty has increased his lead among Independent voters - who support him almost two to one over the incumbent - and gained three points among voters over 65. The 8 percent of voters who were still undecided as of this poll will almost certainly determine the election. 

Independent David Vogel received just over 6.3 percent of likely voters' support.

The campaign's final debate will be held today at 7:30 p.m. at Rhode Island College. It will broadcast live on NBC 10 and nationally on C-SPAN.

U.S. House of Representatives - R.I.

Rep. Jim Langevin, D-RI, has a commanding 16-point lead over Republican challenger Michael Riley in the race to represent Rhode Island's second congressional district. They will also meet for their final debate today at 1:30 p.m., which will be broadcast on NBC 10 at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.