The School of Engineering implemented a 20-page-per-week printing quota for most of its students last Wednesday. The new policy comes after students objected to the revoking of  more extensive printing privileges for concentrators this semester, said David Mycue, the school's director of information technology.

When the school announced its new policy at the beginning of the semester, student representatives met with Lawrence Larson, dean of the School of Engineering, and other school officials to express their concerns, Larson said. Declared engineering concentrators and sophomores enrolled in core engineering classes can now enjoy 20 free pages per week, he said. 

"In retrospect, we should have better communicated the change before we implemented the ideas," Mycue said. 

Following the meeting, Mycue also conducted a survey of engineering students in order to determine the peak times at which computer labs are used so that "resources can be deployed in the most efficient manner," he said. 

Students have responded positively to the new quota. 

Engineering student Jenna Norton '15 said that in the spirit of compromise, even a 10-page quota per week would suffice. 

"Students have gotten to participate and are being listened to," she said. 

Larson said that he and other engineering officials have spoken with faculty to try to decrease color printing demands for lab reports, which would help minimize expenses. 

The "faculty has been understanding of both students and the need to decrease printing costs," Larson said, adding that faculty members have agreed color printing is not always necessary.