For the first time in at least a decade, Brown students and recent alums were awarded each of the Rhodes, Marshall and Mitchell Scholarships. The scholarships are prestigious international awards to study abroad at universities in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Clayton Aldern '13, editor-in-chief of post- Magazine, received the Rhodes Scholarship, which funds two years of postgraduate study at Oxford University. Aldern will study neuroscience at Oxford.
Nicholas Werle '10, a former Herald senior staff writer, won the Marshall Scholarship, which funds two years of study at any university in the United Kingdom. Werle has chosen to split up his two years of funding between University College London and the London School of Economics. He will study economics at UCL and management and regulation of risk at LSE.
Lucas Mason-Brown '13 won the Mitchell Scholarship, which funds one year of postgraduate study at any Irish university. Mason-Brown willstudy mathematics at Trinity College in Dublin.
"It makes sense in some ways to cluster the Rhodes, Mitchell and Marshall Scholarships," said Linda Dunleavy, associate dean of the College for fellowships. "They all happen around the same time of year, and they have similar criteria."
Mason-Brown is the first Mitchell winner from Brown since 2002, Dunleavy said.
Nine Brown students were finalists for the Rhodes Scholarship this year, but only Aldern was chosen. Last year, there were six Rhodes finalists and four winners from Brown, Dunleavy said.
There were three Brown student finalists for the Marshall Scholarship, of whom only Werle was chosen. Mason-Brown was the only Brown student finalist for the Mitchell Scholarship, Dunleavy said.
Students who applied for any of the three scholarships initially applied within the University.
"There's a review by a Brown committee of faculty members, and they review the internal candidates," Dunleavy said. "From that group of candidates, the committee decides who's going to be endorsed by the University. We support those students who are applying by giving them feedback on their application essays or their application materials in general."
"I think this year's result is very positive," Dunleavy added. "I feel very happy to have a winner in all three major awards and also to have a large number of finalists."

Read the Q&A with each winner for more information.