Letter: Financial aid should be fundraising priority

To the Editor:

The members of Brown for Financial Aid strongly disagree with Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration Beppie Huidekoper’s assessment in Friday’s article (“Full need-blind unsustainable under current finances, says finance VP,” Jan. 25). No one suggests today’s budget can support going need-blind. The question is whether new fundraising should support financial aid. BFA and student government, the Strategic Planning Committee on Financial Aid and over 90 percent of students polled agree increasing aid should be a top fundraising priority. Students realize there is a trade-off when priorities are set: They support more fundraising going to academics and aid even if it means less spending on dorms and facilities. Brown for Financial Aid believes the long-term interests of Brown are best supported by investing in the quality of students it can attract.

By going need-blind Brown could accept the best class possible, cease to discriminate against applicants on the basis of wealth and greatly increase its institutional reputation. If fundraising is targeted for financial aid, BFA strongly believes alums will step up to the plate and fund the same program that helped them receive a strong Brown education. We hope the administration will give alums the chance to have every Brown student enter through the front door.

Alex Mechanick ’15
President, Brown for Financial Aid